Husband needs aortic valve replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband needs aortic valve replacement

My husband needs an aortic valve replacement. He has already had open heart surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm in 2009. There are non-invasive (TAVR) and minimally-invasive techniques now to replace the valve, but since he is only 60 they are not recommending the TAVR (inserting the new valve through the groin or arm). They say it is only done on patients that are too old or high risk to have the traditional surgery. DH is very reluctant to have his chest cracked open again if he does not have to.
    He has a bucuspid aortic valve. Has anyone had any experience with this?
    Jacki

So sorry to hear.
    No experience, but best wishes.
    Don

Comment

While I was in cardiac rehab I met a few people with heart valve replacement. Most of them had a non invasive upper body cath procedure. All of these people are older. One of these people sat next to us in the education portion of rehab and she was 96. One woman in my cardiac rehab group that is my age had open heart surgery to repair a valve. She is 58.

I think the difference might be expected life span but Im not certain.

Comment

Originally posted by vintner View Post
        So sorry to hear.
        No experience, but best wishes.
        Thank you.

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
        While I was in cardiac rehab I met a few people with heart valve replacement. Most of them had a non invasive upper body cath procedure. All of these people are older. One of these people sat next to us in the education portion of rehab and she was 96. One woman in my cardiac rehab group that is my age had open heart surgery to repair a valve. She is 58.

I think the difference might be expected life span but Im not certain.
        I think that is part of it. They said they don't have enough data on the long term success of the TAVR because they only give it to people who don't live many years after (due to longevity or poor health).
        Jacki

Comment

I hope everything works out. It sounds like you have a full plate to deal with.

Comment

Jackie, hoping for the best outcome for your hubby's surgery!

Comment

If he decides to do it go to St Francis BTW I will be there as well in July
              Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
                If he decides to do it go to St Francis BTW I will be there as well in July
                Are you okay Frank?
                Don

Comment

Thank you all for the good wishes.

Frank, what are you having done?

DH's first surgery was at Stony Brook and we were happy with his surgeon. She does not do the TAVR. We had a consult with a doc at NYU Langone who has developed and perfected a mini-thoracotomy, where he only makes a 4" incision and does not have to spread all the ribs (that was one of the most difficult aspects of his recovery - those ribs still pop out once in awhile). If they tell him he has to go the open heart route, we will go with this surgeon.
                  Jacki

Comment

Originally posted by jackio View Post

DH's first surgery was at Stony Brook and we were happy with his surgeon. She does not do the TAVR. We had a consult with a doc at NYU Langone who has developed and perfected a mini-thoracotomy, where he only makes a 4" incision and does not have to spread all the ribs (that was one of the most difficult aspects of his recovery - those ribs still pop out once in awhile). If they tell him he has to go the open heart route, we will go with this surgeon.
                    It is comforting to know that you have found a surgeon already that you like if he has to go that way. I hope that everything will turn out OK and soon.

Comment

Thank you Emmy.
                      Jacki

Comment

No experience, but lots of support for you!

Comment

Originally posted by vintner View Post
                          Are you okay Frank?
                          Originally posted by jackio View Post

I had my left hip replaced 4 years ago, I babied it so much that I wore out my right hip. I have been in pain for 3 years but the last year has affected my life. I rarely get out of bed. I need a cane and I huge the wallk if I have to walk. What I miss most is believe it or not dancing the Hustle. I was good at that and have been in contests. In fact that was whenI blew out my left hip. My wife told me not to do it and I did because I was drinking and did not feel the pain as much. Out of 30 couples I was in the last 3 and had a chance to win it, but had to stop. That night I was walking out to my car and went down, They helpped me to the car and I got help to make it in the house, I was in such pain I wanted to go to the hospital but my wife would not let me go because I was drinking. That night I took about 6 Vicodens and was holding my wife so thight I have no idea how she did not break. Next morning I went to the doctor wanting another injection for my hip. Doc took one look at me and said no injection your going to the Hospital. They had to take me by Ambulance from the Doctors office. They opereated and gave me a new hip with in 18 hours. I have been holding out because the last time the rehab was bad. I spent 3 weeks in the Hospital and 7 weeks in rehab. When they take you in as an Emergency they just make a huge insicion , This time it is planed so it should not be that bad. I was 2 weeks I should be good to go. I hope,
                          Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

I had my left hip replaced 4 years ago, I babied it so much that I wore out my right hip. I have been in pain for 3 years but the last year has affected my life. I rarely get out of bed. I need a cane and I huge the wallk if I have to walk. What I miss most is believe it or not dancing the Hustle. I was good at that and have been in contests. In fact that was whenI blew out my left hip. My wife told me not to do it and I did because I was drinking and did not feel the pain as much. Out of 30 couples I was in the last 3 and had a chance to win it, but had to stop. That night I was walking out to my car and went down, They helpped me to the car and I got help to make it in the house, I was in such pain I wanted to go to the hospital but my wife would not let me go because I was drinking. That night I took about 6 Vicodens and was holding my wife so thight I have no idea how she did not break. Next morning I went to the doctor wanting another injection for my hip. Doc took one look at me and said no injection your going to the Hospital. They had to take me by Ambulance from the Doctors office. They opereated and gave me a new hip with in 18 hours. I have been holding out because the last time the rehab was bad. I spent 3 weeks in the Hospital and 7 weeks in rehab. When they take you in as an Emergency they just make a huge insicion , This time it is planed so it should not be that bad. I was 2 weeks I should be good to go. I hope,
                            Yikes!
                            Good luck with it. Every year they advance the practice of joint replacement. You should do well, considering you have a good one to lean on after the surgery.
                            Jacki

Comment

Good luck Frank. I will ask God to help you husstle again.

Comment

Working...
                              X