Rip router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rip router

after giving me problems for two moths my router passed away during the night. I understand you can buy a combined modem and router now. any suggestions on purchasing so I have my wifi back?

I think it may depend on Internet provider. I'm considering same thing so if I have problems the ISP can't blame my router.

Nancy

ps. My ISP is Bright House and they do have combined ones. As does FIOS. Don't know about any other.

Comment

Traditionally, cable companies have full control over your modem, but not over your router. I would still go with the separate router. Just get a cute one for $20 like this: TL-WR702N and be done with -)

Comment

Fios gives you both and in one unit. I have to admit it that it is GREAT!
        Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

I have a Cisco router, can't remember the model. I am on my second one because of problems. I still have to manually unplug my router probably once a week because it looses the wireless function or it is intermittent.

If you are hardwired, a basic model router should work fine. If you are hardwired and/or wireless (wi-fi), a multi-band would probably be good idea. As computers change, their wi-fi connection speeds increase. Different bands and bandwidth will cover more types of computers (and smartphones and DVRs and Roku and on and on).
          Don

Comment

When I had AT&T DSL, I started with a Siemens modem (ATT provided) and a Cisco Router. I later learned that they were somewhat incompatible with each other according to the internet. Occasionally they would lose communications with each other and I had to go through a several minute procedure to wake them both up. Then I also ended up with a situation where I was getting only a fraction of the speed that I was promised. If I came directly out of the modem I got close to the published data rates. But when I went through the router the throughput dropped to about 10 percent. When I called up AT&T they said it was a Cisco problem. When I called Cisco they said it was a Siemens/ATT issue. Lots of finger-pointing with me in the middle. I changed to a Belkin router and nothing changed. I also tried another router and the same thing.

I finally bought a combined Router-Modem from ATT which they called a Gateway. I bought it because if I don't get the required throughput, there is only one company to blame. No finger pointing would be possible. Also, I thought that if they had adequately tested it before product release that they probably fixed any incompatibility issues.

Now I'm a 100% happy camper and get the published throughput.

So my recommendation would be to get a combined Router-Modem and eliminate any chance of incompatibility and finger pointing...

Comment

I bought a netgear N300 router, because they said it was compatible with my modem and Comcast (and wasn't too expensive) hopefully I can install I and get to sync.
              rapmarks
              Last edited by rapmarks; 12-19-2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
                Fios gives you both and in one unit. I have to admit it that it is GREAT!
                Actually there is no modem required for Verizon FIOS. All you need is a router. I am on my third router now from Verizon. The first one crapped out completely. I have had Verizon FIOS for 8 years now. They gave me the first one for free and then replaced the others also for free. I notice now that they are offering a new router for $99. Any wifi router should work for the OP and also with Verizon FIOS.

It is the wifi in the router that goes bad usually.

I just got a new router for my son. I purchased a Netgear WNR2000 Wireless-N Router for him. He needed it immediately o I had to buy it at Target for $44.99. The price at Amazon.com is $22.50. It is a very good router for the money.
                JWC
                Super Moderator
                Last edited by JWC; 12-19-2013, 09:26 PM.
                John

Comment

Working...
                X