Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!

My computer is getting increasingly goobered up, and my young techies have been too busy to spend some remote time with it.

Here's the latest:

Suddenly the other day I was not able to log into AOL, so could not send or receive anything.

An AOL techie did a remote, and I could tell he was pretty frustrated. He was able to determine that the only way I could access AOL is to go to IE and select Run as Administrator. I don't have to do that for any other site, and, of course, once I do that for AOL, none of the other places I go recognize me.

The techie said I have an outdated version of IE, and he asked if I wanted him to update it. I told him No, that I have other people to mess with my computer.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Gosh, I only know one person that still uses AOL & she has been complaining about email issues too.

Try Mozilla Firefox - it is much better than IE for a browser.

You might consider upgrading to Windows 10 before Friday, because that is the last day it is free.
    Phyllis

Comment

Originally posted by pittle View Post
      Gosh, I only know one person that still uses AOL & she has been complaining about email issues too.

Try Mozilla Firefox - it is much better than IE for a browser.

You might consider upgrading to Windows 10 before Friday, because that is the last day it is free.
      Thanks.

Any idea why what happened happened, and how I can reset whatever needs to be reset?

I have reasons for still having aol.
      RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Break down and spend $200 to $300 and get a new one.
        Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
          Break down and spend $200 to $300 and get a new one.
          Did that already.

My current problems stem from my techies updating and cleaning things up a couple months ago. They know they have some work left to do.

Comment

Originally posted by pittle View Post

Hi Phyllis,

How much is Windows 10 going to cost to install if we don't upgrade by Friday?

Comment

I have tried to upgrade to Windows 10, and it just doesn't happen. It keeps failing. I have decided to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by rapmarks View Post
                I have tried to upgrade to Windows 10, and it just doesn't happen. It keeps failing. I have decided to give up.
                Sometimes you have to upgrade to Windows 7,8,9 before it allows you to go to the next level. So if you are way behind in updating that could be the cause of not being able to go to 10

I now have a Mac, just remember that from the "old days"
                Pat
                *** My Website ***

Comment

I do not know the cost, but seems like I read $199 somewhere.

We had Windows 7 on our computers and upgraded to Windows 10 last year when it came out.

Many people have said that Windows 10 upgraded automatically over the past few months. That is most likely if you have automatic updates checked on your computer.
                  Phyllis

Comment

I have Windows 8.1 , my update history shows Windows 10 upgrade failing multiple times.

Comment

Get new techies.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
                        Get new techies.
                        That's an option.

They have been really good over the last three or four years. They advised me what to get when I upgraded my LT, and they got everything transferred over from my failed LT. They installed programs that do the MS stuff I want done, without having to pay the high MS price.

A couple months ago they cleaned things up remotely, which involved a few updates and some new programs. Things have not been running well since then . . . something seems to always be running, eating up CPUs. When I go to sites that are somewhat involved, like weather.com, or aol, where there's a lot of stuff running, whatever is eating up the CPUs doesn't let those sites running.

Sites like this one, that's just sitting there doing nothing, except when you search or post, are no problem.

I think there's hope if I can just get them to find whatever's using all the CPUs.

Comment

JLB, do you have a Windows store in your city? We have a Windows and an Apple store in the same shopping mall not far from us so very convenient. Take your computer there and ask them to upgrade it for you to Windows 10. They will do it for free but you need to back up all your old files yourself before you bring your computer in.

They will do the back-up too and put the files on your computer again but there is a charge for that. If the Windows store does the upgrade for you then you won't have multiple versions of the OS on your computer and it should work much better. They can only do it if the computer isn't too old. We found that out with one of our old notebooks that had Windows 7 on it.

You could also call them and give them your make, model and serial number of your computer and they can look up if your computer can be upgraded or not if you don't have a Windows store in the city you live.

Comment

1. I don't know enough to understand why just one site (aol) suddenly does not recognize me, or accept my log-in, when every other site does, and

2. I don't know enough to understand why WIN 10 would be my cure-all, especially since I was told to do anything and everything to avoid WIN 8, which was the current version when I got my LT and was told to make sure I got WIN 7, which I did, WIN 7 Pro.

I don't really do much with my LT, not like a lot of people do. I got to my few little sites every day, and want a place to save pictures and documents. I don't stream videos and music and watch Netflix, and stuff like that

Comment

I just upgraded Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Pro. It went very smoothly. My son also did the same upgrade today with no problems. I need more experience with Windows 10 before commenting on it. So far I like it and it is faster.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X