X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Xtreme Eating Awards: America's Most Gut-Busting Meals

Xtreme Eating Awards: America's Most Gut-Busting Meals
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013, by Amy McKeever

Once again, the Center for Science in the Public Interest unveils the dubious winners of its Xtreme Eating Awards, which seek to highlight the most disgustingly calorie-laden chain restaurant meals in America. The organization has been handing out these "awards" for the past six years, though as senior nutritionist Jayne Hurley tells CNN, they "think this year that this is the worst of some of the worst."

Indeed, this year's nine finalists include the likes of Uno Chicago Grill's macaroni and three cheese dish that "is like eating a whole Family Size box of Stouffer's Macaroni & Cheese—with half a stick of butter melted on top." Perennial offender The Cheesecake Factory's Crispy Chicken Costoletta also makes the list for being the caloric equivalent of a KFC 12-piece bucket. The Cheesecake Factory and Maggiano's Little Italy seem to be the worst of this year's chains, with two dishes each named in the awards. Here's the list:

· Johnny Rockets: Bacon cheddar double burger with sweet potato fries and a Big Apple shake (3,500 calories)
    · IHOP: Country Fried Steak & Eggs (1,760 calories)
    · Maggiano's Little Italy: Veal porterhouse (2,710 calories)
    · The Cheesecake Factory: Bistro Shrimp Pasta (3,120 calories)
    · Smoothie King: 40 oz. Peanut Power Plus Grape Smoothie (1,460 calories)
    · Chili's: Full rack of baby back ribs with Shiner Bock barbecue sauce (1,660 calories)
    · Uno Chicago Grill: Deep Dish Macaroni & 3 Cheese (1,980 calories)
    · The Cheesecake Factory: Crispy Chicken Costoletta (2,610 calories)
    · Maggiano's Little Italy: Chocolate Zuccotto Cake (1,820 calories)
    Lawren
    ------------------------
    There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
    - Rolf Kopfle

In all times and all corners of human society moral do-gooders have been outraged that not only are there people doing things the do-gooders don't like, but even worse those sinners are enjoying their debauchery. The do-gooders then have the imperative to somehow stop those people from doing those things and coercing those people into living decently and properly.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest really isn't about science in the public interest. Their mission is to use science to justify the moral policing of society. The fact that they are "scientists" doesn't mean that they aren't as morally bankrupt as the "theologists" who use religion as the basis for their moral policing.
    “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

The country fried steak and eggs sounds good. Has Cracker Barrel ever made the list ?

Comment

What no Big Mac, It must be healthy now
        Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
          In all times and all corners of human society moral do-gooders have been outraged that not only are there people doing things the do-gooders don't like, but even worse those sinners are enjoying their debauchery. The do-gooders then have the imperative to somehow stop those people from doing those things and coercing those people into living decently and properly.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest really isn't about science in the public interest. Their mission is to use science to justify the moral policing of society. The fact that they are "scientists" doesn't mean that they aren't as morally bankrupt as the "theologists" who use religion as the basis for their moral policing.
          I always have taken the more tolerant view of these things and consider them as raisers of public awareness. I am certain that Cheesecake Factory does not tout the caloric value of their main menu items and if people KNEW that one dish came in at over 1.5 times of the average daily caloric intake of 2000 calories it would not be ordered.

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
          In comparison to those that made the list a Big Mac is child's play:

Big Mac®
          100% Beef Patty
          Big Mac Bun
          Pasteurized Process American Cheese
          Big Mac Sauce
          Shredded Lettuce
          Pickle Slices
          Onions
          Calories

25g
          Protein

29g
          Fat
          (45%)
          46g
          Carbs
          (15%)
          970mg
          Sodium
          (40%)
          Calories from Fat 260 Dietary Fiber 3g (13%) Calcium 270mg (25%)
          Saturated Fat 10g (51%) Sugars 9g Iron 4.5mg (25%)
          Trans Fat 1g Vitamin A 230IU (4%) Vitamin C 1mg (2%)
          Cholesterol 75mg (25%) Serving Size 7.6 oz (215 g)
          Lawren
          ------------------------
          There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
          - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Originally posted by lawren2 View Post
            · Johnny Rockets: Bacon cheddar double burger with sweet potato fries and a Big Apple shake (3,500 calories)
            · IHOP: Country Fried Steak & Eggs (1,760 calories)
            · Maggiano's Little Italy: Veal porterhouse (2,710 calories)
            · The Cheesecake Factory: Bistro Shrimp Pasta (3,120 calories)
            · Smoothie King: 40 oz. Peanut Power Plus Grape Smoothie (1,460 calories)
            · Chili's: Full rack of baby back ribs with Shiner Bock barbecue sauce (1,660 calories)
            · Uno Chicago Grill: Deep Dish Macaroni & 3 Cheese (1,980 calories)
            · The Cheesecake Factory: Crispy Chicken Costoletta (2,610 calories)
            · Maggiano's Little Italy: Chocolate Zuccotto Cake (1,820 calories)
            Boy that sounds like some really good stuff. I am going to try some of those dishes.
            John

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
              No Culver's Butterburger either.

Also nothing from Carver's Country Kitchen in Atlanta.
              “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

You know this stuff can kill you http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...191647836.html

Comment

Go for it JWC on your next trip to Sin City.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
                    Go for it JWC on your next trip to Sin City.
                    I don't need to go to Sin City. We have most of those places right here where I live. We don't go to Sin City very often anymore.
                    John

Comment

http://www.coheso.com/nutridata/Chee...m_details.html

That's quite different than the media's version.

Comment

Originally posted by lawren2 View Post
                        I always have taken the more tolerant view of these things and consider them as raisers of public awareness. I am certain that Cheesecake Factory does not tout the caloric value of their main menu items and if people KNEW that one dish came in at over 1.5 times of the average daily caloric intake of 2000 calories it would not be ordered.

That's the exact item I looked up when you first posted this....the shrimp is battered-which I didn't expect when combined with a pasta-but it helped explain why. AND you are correct, no caloric values anywhere to be found on the website menu. Poor innocent shrimp. When I'm eating a throw caution to the wind meal-at least I know I'm doing it.

Comment

I wonder how that huge monster burger from in and out. A few years back I tackled the 20 oz burger from Cheeburger cheeburger, If you finished you got it for free and your picture on the wall. Did I mention my picture is on the wall?

Comment

When professional pie eaters get an upset stomach, there's only one remedy they rely on -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DkCfLIZAkI

(can't believe they found such large people in the 1960's)

Comment

They should bring back some oldies and play that one. Nice find

Comment

Working...
                              X