Went to another wake for a young person today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to another wake for a young person today

A 21 year old young man - I am friends with his mother- died of a heroin overdose the other day. I have attended a few of these wakes, although even one is one too many. Heroin abuse is rampant here on Long Island. This scourge transcends age, sex and socio-economic boundaries.
    The recent push to tighten up the abuse of prescription painkillers has led to an increase in heroin use by people who can't get opiates from doctors anymore.

There were about 50 young people at the wake. Nice, clean-cut, respectful. "Doing the right thing", dressed in their dress clothes, they filed past the casket looking shell-shocked, speaking to the mother, shaking her hand, saying the right things.
    Obviously they are smart kids.
    Then why the hell don't they learn??

I am heartbroken.
    Jacki

I saw a few of my friends go in the same way. It is hard to see it happen but hopefully his dieing may wake up and save others that are on the same path.
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

It is just so hard to believe although I know it's true, I am so sorry. There is no appropriate emoticon for this.

Comment

It is so sad to see lives wasted this way. Often the victims don't die but the life they are left with may not be very pleasant. And there is no easy answer. Very sad.

Comment

Sad very Sad. Sorry you had to witness this devastation.
          Flying at MACH4 +

Comment

Yup, that is always bummer.

Comment

So sorry Jackie! Its so tragic when a young person passes. When they pass in this manner, there are no appropriate words.
              Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

So sorry Jacki. When we see torment in the eyes of our friends, it is so difficult to know what to say and do. Just be there, no more is needed.

Comment

Happens here too. Middle class kids taking heroin is still unbelievable to me. I have no words. HUGS to you Jacki.

Comment

There are no words to express the pain of a child dying.

Lawren
                    ------------------------
                    There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
                    - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Working...
                    X