Preparing a wall for painting ... need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing a wall for painting ... need advice

After 18 years, the wallpaper was finally taken down. Didn't have too much trouble but a lot of the glue/sizing is still on the wall. Cleaning it off is a pain. When asked for advice, the lead guy said that since I had cracks to repair, I would most likely end up skimming the whole area and so it wasn't necessary to take off the sizing. Is he correct?

TIA

Yes and no. Depends on how fussy you are. When I redid my kitchen I took off the wallpaper and cleaned the wall with a solution of Spic and Span (powder).

Comment

You can rent a professional steamer, and steam the glue off your walls. Messy, but it will get the job done pretty easily. You can use an inexpensive plastic spackling knife & rags to remove the old glue.....You would then need to repair any cracks, etc., in your walls before painting. Using a good quality paint that is both a paint & primer is a good idea, in situations like this. Good luck, whatever you decide!
      Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

Not the answers I wanted to hear/read, but since it is a "snow day", I'll put the boys to work. Thanks Angela, but I'll leave steaming as the last resort. I'm cheap ;-)

Thanks Tony, Who sells Spic and Span? Hardware or WalMart equivalent?

Comment

Hi Marina, nice to have you back BTW.
          Walmart should carry it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and welcome, Lisa.

Comment

I don't recall if I had to do and sanding to remove glue. That first post wallpaper paint job was over 25 years ago. Wallpaper is sometimes used because it covers up crappy sheetrock patching and I know I did a lot of spackling.

Comment

I have used DIF, a sponge and a scraper with great results. You can buy DIF at Home Depot or Lowes.
                Lawren
                ------------------------
                There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
                - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Thanks Lawren. That's what I ended up using/doing. I was trying to avoid using the Dif because I read somewhere that you had to be really careful, both to person and property (strips polish off hardwood floors). Instead of getting the gel, I had purchased the concentrate, which we applied with a garden spray.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
                    Wallpaper is sometimes used because it covers up crappy sheetrock patching and I know I did a lot of spackling.
                    That is what is happening here, but the contractor recommended that I also skim coat everything. Try to remember ... Did you have to use an oil-based primer and paint after all that work?

Comment

Originally posted by lawren2 View Post
                      I have used DIF, a sponge and a scraper with great results. You can buy DIF at Home Depot or Lowes.
                      I also used Dif, it did the job not the most best in the world. I saw a guy on tv rip it off. He put slits on it sprayed something and used some kind of claw machine.
                      Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Originally posted by (just) Marina (no K) View Post
                        That is what is happening here, but the contractor recommended that I also skim coat everything. Try to remember ... Did you have to use an oil-based primer and paint after all that work?
                        No. I painted with a latex flat paint. I'm not sure if the wall under the paper was painted or just primed.

Comment

I have found it easier and faster to tear out the existing drywall and rehang new drywall.

Comment

Looking at the crap that we scraped off, I wouldn't be surprised if we took off the sizing and previous coats of joint compound/spackle/or whatever was used and paint. I guess we're at that stage where we don't know when to stop and say "good enough", but this will be the last weekend.

Great answer! I will use the best primer/paint I can afford as advised by Angela.

Comment

I'm beginning to think I should have gone that route but it was an akward space (front entry & hallway which continues up the stairs and 2nd floor hallway, plus the ceiling also needed help) and I couldn't hang the drywall myself. On top of all that, it is not all drywall as we know it today. Being an older house (1940's), it is masonry/plaster backed on some wire netting that reminds me of "chicken wire" (stuff they make chicken coops out of).

The family should have gotten me the SawzAll I asked for Christmas :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X