What a travel day! - Long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a travel day! - Long

My flight from NYC to Buffalo was scheduled for 3pm. At 11:30 am I got an automated call that the flight was changed to 6pm. I hadn't left yet, so I stayed home awhile longer. Then at 2:30, I got another call that the flight had been moved to 5pm. Well, I live an hour and a half from the airport, so I quick jumped in the car. I had planned to park in an off-site lot. Well there was an accident on the expressway and I was at a standstill for about a half hour. I barely had time to make the flight so I parked in short term parking and ran in.
    I made it up to the gate with about 10 minutes til boarding time, all sweaty and disgusting (it is very hot and humid here), and was told the flight was moved to 7:25.
    There were hundreds of people milling around, and it seemed obvious that flights had been cancelled during the day. There was nowhere to sit because it was so full.
    I wasn't getting much information, so I logged on and entered my confirmation number. Lo and behold I was told that I had an alternate itinerary, flying to Detroit at 6:30 with a 1- 1/2 hr. layover to get me to Buffalo at 11:15 pm. I went to the desk to confirm and they said it was that or nothing. I had an 8am meeting scheduled so I took it.
    All signs said the Detroit flight would take off on time, so I went to the gate. Then, a Southwest jet had an accident on the runway and the entire airport closed to both arrivals and departures. My Detroit flight was cancelled too!

I decided the hell with it and I waited on line for an hour to cancel my reservation. They said I could have a refund. They put my baggage claim number in to the system and told me to go to baggage claim to get my bag.

I waited an hour at baggage claim. They told me all the bags that had been on the Detroit flight were brought out, and since mine wasn't there it was going to Buffalo. Only now I'm NOT!

So I figure I'll worry about the bag tomorrow and head home. I am hot, tired, hungry and thirsty. I leave the airport and take a wrong turn, so I back track and run a curb and BANG - blow the tire and rim. I have no idea where I am, on some street in Queens and it starts to pour. I call Roadside service at 8:45 and am told the truck will be here at 9:35. By now I feel like crying.

The guy shows up at 10, and changes my tire. It's a donut so I have to go slow on the highway and I live 50 miles away. DH meets me 1/2 way and takes over the car while I drive his.

I am exhausted and disgusted and discouraged. I got home at midnight.

But it could be worse - I could have been on that Southwest flight!!!
    Jacki

Sorry you had such a bad and unproductive day. Air travel is quite a challenge these days, isn't it?

Comment

Oh Jacki - so sorry you had this nightmare - and still weren't able to attend your meeting!

How nice of DH to rescue you!

Hope tomorrow is a better day!

Maria

Comment

What a frustrating day- poor you!

Comment

Good grief! What a day and night! They could make a movie out of it, and with the right cast get a darn good comedy! easy for me to say I didn't have to live it! Hope your today is wonderful!

Comment

What a disaster! So sorry for you. At least you were in one piece, although hot and sweaty.
            Kay H

Comment

Truly a day from hell Jackie! You poor thing! :hug
              Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

YUK but yes it could have been worse! (the SW flight). Glad you are home and safe

Comment

Reminds me of the direct flight I booked round trip to Cancun where we saw half of the country on a rather long round trip after multiple changes.

Comment

I thought of u when I saw that Southwest Jet "resting" on the runway.

Sorry u missed your conference. They JUST moved the jet off the runway and reopened the airport.
                    Pat
                    *** My Website ***

Comment

Makes my worst travel day look like a piece of cake. Glad you made it home, OK and sorry you missed your meetings.

Comment

Sorry for the miserable day, Jacki. Today has got to be a LOT better.
                        Pat H

Comment

Well, I am booked on a 3pm flight from Islip to Buffalo with a 2-1/2 layover in Philly, so I can at least make tomorrow's meeting and Thursday's conference. Boy, the price gouging is crazy! I am paying $357 ONE WAY!
                          Jacki

Comment

Jackie, I promise I was no where around!!!!!! Now that's what I call an adventure!! shaggy

Comment

I arrived in Buffalo at 11 pm - about 30 hours after I first left yesterday. We were delayed 2 1/2 hours in Philly.
                              They said it was due to a late crew arrival from LaGuardia, so that airport is still screwing me up.
                              It turns out that my bags are still in LaGuardia. I went to the baggage service desk in the airport and they put in a claim for them, to send them up tomorrow.
                              US Air will be the one to deliver them to my hotel, even though I paid Delta $25 to deliver the bag. The Delta agent said the airline I actually flew on is responsible now for the bag, and the US Air agent agreed, so okay with me as long as I get it tomorrow sometime.
                              Thank goodness I put an extra outfit in my carry-on just in case!
                              Jacki

Comment

Working...
                              X