No announcement yet.

What a travel day! - Long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor you, Jacki. I just looked up how far it is to drive to Buffalo and it says that you could have done it in 6 hours and 10 minutes. It would have been faster in this case here. Flying is becoming a challenge today with the security and all the delays or changes of schedule.

Comment

Wow! Traveling MAC wasn't even that bad! Sorry you had to deal with all that, Jacki. Sounds like you coped with it better than many would, though.

Comment

That is the worst travel day I've heard of! And for a flight that should be an hour or so long, no less! The baggage still at LGA is just the icing on the cake, unbelievable.

I was supposed to fly to Buffalo this Friday for a family visit but the trip got canceled. I was disappointed but now not so sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by jackio View Post
          My flight from NYC to Buffalo was scheduled for 3pm. At 11:30 am I got an automated call that the flight was changed to 6pm. I hadn't left yet, so I stayed home awhile longer. Then at 2:30, I got another call that the flight had been moved to 5pm. Well, I live an hour and a half from the airport, so I quick jumped in the car. I had planned to park in an off-site lot. Well there was an accident on the expressway and I was at a standstill for about a half hour. I barely had time to make the flight so I parked in short term parking and ran in.
          I made it up to the gate with about 10 minutes til boarding time, all sweaty and disgusting (it is very hot and humid here), and was told the flight was moved to 7:25.
          There were hundreds of people milling around, and it seemed obvious that flights had been cancelled during the day. There was nowhere to sit because it was so full.
          I wasn't getting much information, so I logged on and entered my confirmation number. Lo and behold I was told that I had an alternate itinerary, flying to Detroit at 6:30 with a 1- 1/2 hr. layover to get me to Buffalo at 11:15 pm. I went to the desk to confirm and they said it was that or nothing. I had an 8am meeting scheduled so I took it.
          All signs said the Detroit flight would take off on time, so I went to the gate. Then, a Southwest jet had an accident on the runway and the entire airport closed to both arrivals and departures. My Detroit flight was cancelled too!

I decided the hell with it and I waited on line for an hour to cancel my reservation. They said I could have a refund. They put my baggage claim number in to the system and told me to go to baggage claim to get my bag.

I waited an hour at baggage claim. They told me all the bags that had been on the Detroit flight were brought out, and since mine wasn't there it was going to Buffalo. Only now I'm NOT!

So I figure I'll worry about the bag tomorrow and head home. I am hot, tired, hungry and thirsty. I leave the airport and take a wrong turn, so I back track and run a curb and BANG - blow the tire and rim. I have no idea where I am, on some street in Queens and it starts to pour. I call Roadside service at 8:45 and am told the truck will be here at 9:35. By now I feel like crying.

The guy shows up at 10, and changes my tire. It's a donut so I have to go slow on the highway and I live 50 miles away. DH meets me 1/2 way and takes over the car while I drive his.

I am exhausted and disgusted and discouraged. I got home at midnight.

But it could be worse - I could have been on that Southwest flight!!!
          I had a similar experience going to NYC from Buffalo a few years ago. Since then I have my employer rent a car for me and drive. It is much more relaxing and I get to see the state.

Comment

Originally posted by iconnections View Post
            Poor you, Jacki. I just looked up how far it is to drive to Buffalo and it says that you could have done it in 6 hours and 10 minutes. It would have been faster in this case here. Flying is becoming a challenge today with the security and all the delays or changes of schedule.
            It is 460 miles to where I am staying on Grand Island, so about 8 1/2 hours, but with a couple of stops it would be easily 10. Giving that it takes me almost 2 hours to get through NYC with the traffic, I would be looking at 11 to 12. An hour flight would be a piece of cake if all the stars aligned properly.

On a bright note, my luggage arrived at the hotel a little while ago!
            Jacki

Comment

If you have time and have not been there go see Niagara Falls. On Grand Island Buckhorn state park is a nice place to walk and watch wildlife, just get some bug spray first.

Comment

It is 460 miles to where I am staying on Grand Island, so about 8 1/2 hours, but with a couple of stops it would be easily 10. Giving that it takes me almost 2 hours to get through NYC with the traffic, I would be looking at 11 to 12. An hour flight would be a piece of cake if all the stars aligned properly.

On a bright note, my luggage arrived at the hotel a little while ago!
                Yup. Def 9+ hours from where we live. Glad u got there and hope u are enjoying yourself.
                Pat
                *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by dcwojo View Post
                  If you have time and have not been there go see Niagara Falls. On Grand Island Buckhorn state park is a nice place to walk and watch wildlife, just get some bug spray first.
                  They don't give us any down time at this conference, but I've seen the falls and been to the state park on the NY side when I went to a conference in Niagara Falls a few years ago. The town was so depressed, but the nature walks were beautiful. Last summer I stayed on the Canadian side of the falls and the town was much nicer.
                  I've never been to Buckhorn state park. Hopefully next time. Thanks for the tip.
                  Jacki

Comment

You seriously can't make this stuff up...glad you are settled and have your luggage. Shame you can't venture out. When we visited, we drove from Buffalo and stayed on the Canadian side so we had a car. Went as far as Niagara on the Lake. CUTE town, beautiful scenery/drive. Loved it.

Comment

They don't give us any down time at this conference, but I've seen the falls and been to the state park on the NY side when I went to a conference in Niagara Falls a few years ago. The town was so depressed, but the nature walks were beautiful. Last summer I stayed on the Canadian side of the falls and the town was much nicer.
                      I've never been to Buckhorn state park. Hopefully next time. Thanks for the tip.
                      I went to SUNY Buffalo for school. Lots of nice memories there but I have not been back since 1991. Yes that area is very depressed and it's sad to hear...My friend's home bought in the late 80s for $55K are worth no more than $65K today.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaH View Post
                        I went to SUNY Buffalo for school. Lots of nice memories there but I have not been back since 1991. Yes that area is very depressed and it's sad to hear...My friend's home bought in the late 80s for $55K are worth no more than $65K today.
                        My son goes to school there. I Trulia'd the house he's renting before I let him sign the lease - it's value has increased over the last five years from 75K to 100K - I gather it's due to renovations/improvements. BUT - his landlord collects $22,500 per year in rent. I'm sure it's no picnic, and there is no way I'd want to landlord a bunch of frat boys, but that is one heck of a return. That said, the area remains very economically depressed, as is so much of upstate New York. Very sad.

Comment

Working...
                        X