Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor life vs Rich life

Poor life vs Rich life

This video touched my heart I just wanted to share with you.

I feel that most of us have seen both sides of this fence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVZpx5HOhbs
    Faust
    Super Moderator
    Last edited by Faust; 11-22-2013, 11:52 PM.
    What I once considered boring, I now consider paradise.
    Faust

clean water for everyone !!!!!

Comment

Very touching. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

So sad to know that there are so many poor people in the world.
        Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

So much to be thankful for and we take it for granted.
          Robert

Comment

Sometimes I pray that I find the person in need that I can actually help, and it seems that this person always shows up.

Comment

Well done video. Makes you stop and think.
              Kay H

Comment

What a beautiful video! It is all too easy to take our blessings for granted, and shocking how little of the world shares them.

The thing with providing clean water is that it depends on an infrastructure that can be difficult to maintain in the midst of poverty. So outsiders can gift a person or place with a working well, but there's no way to know how long that well keeps working. Charity: water is trying to equip all their pumps with sensors that let them know whether they're working that day (signalling green for "functioning" and red for "nonfunctional"), and director Paull Young believes that, once those sensors are working, ""There'll be a lot of red." The better charities try to invest someone local in the well, often by having them help pay for it and help build it, since some of the most effective methods (for instance, biosand filters) require a lot of upkeep and someone local who really understands the workings.

Household intervention (where each family purifies their own water) is also more effective than water-source intervention (trying to purify at the local well), at least when it comes to things that are killing children, presumably because the water gets re-contaminated before being used, or because households that are trained to clean their own water are also trained in sanitation, or because the food is as much a source of contamination as the water. And even household intervention doesn't get good grades when it comes to blinded tests (although there are fewer of those).

The more I look into the international challenges of alleviating poverty, the more I realize how very blessed the "western" nations are, on levels we aren't even aware of. Which is very humbling.

Comment

Working...
                X