Halloween Customs Around the World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween Customs Around the World

Some interesting customs from around the world....

Ireland is believed to be the birthplace of Halloween, and has some fun customs. Although, I can do without this one, and have had some personal experience with it, albeit bell ringing.

Children are also known to play tricks upon their neighbors on Halloween night. One of which is known as "knock-a-dolly," where children knock on the doors of their neighbors but then run away before the door is opened.

http://www.novareinna.com/festive/world.html
    Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Originally posted by ArtsieAng View Post
    Some interesting customs from around the world....

Ireland is believed to be the birthplace of Halloween, and has some fun customs. Although, I can do without this one, and have had some personal experience with it, albeit bell ringing.

Children are also known to play tricks upon their neighbors on Halloween night. One of which is known as "knock-a-dolly," where children knock on the doors of their neighbors but then run away before the door is opened.

http://www.novareinna.com/festive/world.html
    I never knew there was a name for it. We used to ring the bell knock on the door and run. I think it must have been in our age group cause I do not see it being done.

I was a bad boy growing up. What I used to do was call any number on the phone and try to sell them a hover vacuum which of course I do not really sell. 9 out of 10 they would hang up I guess they could tell I was about 7 years old. But this one time I have remembered my whole life. I made a call and I told her I was selling Hover Vacuums but she did not hang up. I had her on the phone for about 15 minutes and since it was a joke I was cracking up and I am sure she must have heard it but did not give in. We ended up making an appointment to sell her the Vacuum in person. I wonder if she is still waiting? A know have to thank that woman. she not only amused me but she gave me a memory i never forgot. I then felt sorry for her thinking that the only reason she stayed on the phone so long was maybe she was lonely.
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

A twist on the door knocking...we used to get a ball of strong dark thread and attach to the door knocker ..so when pulled the door knocked ..and then made loose when door was opening ..and start again shortly after ....and..

Comment

I think you're right, Frank. Ringing bells and running was a lot more common when we were growing up then it is today. Prank phone calls, too. I remember getting those type of calls when I was a kid. Very annoying! Lol. You were bad, Frank!

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
        I never knew there was a name for it. We used to ring the bell knock on the door and run. I think it must have been in our age group cause I do not see it being done.

I was a bad boy growing up. What I used to do was call any number on the phone and try to sell them a hover vacuum which of course I do not really sell. 9 out of 10 they would hang up I guess they could tell I was about 7 years old. But this one time I have remembered my whole life. I made a call and I told her I was selling Hover Vacuums but she did not hang up. I had her on the phone for about 15 minutes and since it was a joke I was cracking up and I am sure she must have heard it but did not give in. We ended up making an appointment to sell her the Vacuum in person. I wonder if she is still waiting? A know have to thank that woman. she not only amused me but she gave me a memory i never forgot. I then felt sorry for her thinking that the only reason she stayed on the phone so long was maybe she was lonely.
        Angela

Comment

Too funny! I can see how that would be a blast for kids. A nightmare for the homeowner, but a fun prank for the kids! Lol.

Originally posted by Ireland's Call View Post
          A twist on the door knocking...we used to get a ball of strong dark thread and attach to the door knocker ..so when pulled the door knocked ..and then made loose when door was opening ..and start again shortly after ....and..
          Angela

Comment

Originally posted by ArtsieAng View Post
            I think you're right, Frank. Ringing bells and running was a lot more common when we were growing up then it is today. Prank phone calls, too. I remember getting those type of calls when I was a kid. Very annoying! Lol. You were bad, Frank!
            With caller ID and cameras everywhere it's taken all the fun out of being a kid.
            I remember we used to do lots of toilet papering of friends houses.
            Now we'd probably be arrested.

Comment

This year, I shall tie an orange ribbon out the front of my home. The orange ribbon means that children are welcomed at my front door. I will lavish them with praise for their costumes, pretend to be frightened, play the game, as well as have some treats organised and ready to give. It isn't an Australian (or English) tradition and unfortunately some people have no qualms about lecturing and embarrassing not only the parents but the little children too.

Comment

The kids dressed up as pirates this year. They so look forward to it every year

Comment

Working...
                X