20 Thanksgiving Favorites Updated....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Thanksgiving Favorites Updated....

Do you have any favorite recipes that you'd like to share with us? I'm always looking for something new. Thanks!

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/...orites-updated

Consider the celery and canned-olive tray. How many holiday meals across America once kicked off with this appetizer? It’s so 1950s (you might say, rolling your eyes), but there’s something about it that you can’t help but love: Retro American dishes like this tap into a collective nostalgia for the foods so many of us grew up with. That’s why, in developing the recipes that follow, we decided to focus on the sometimes outdated ones that traditionally define Thanksgiving. Our goal was to make over these dishes without losing their identity, to create new versions for adventurous cooks who, like us, still crave turkey, stuffing, cranberries and sweet potatoes on the last Thursday in November. Not to mention celery and olives. This last dish, for instance, appears on our table in a magically altered form, as celery strips tossed with chopped Calamata olives and ricotta salata in an anchovy dressing. It’s so good we couldn’t stop eating it. But we did, if only to move on to recipes like turkey with bourbon-pecan gravy (hold the giblets), corn bread stuffing with chorizo, curried sweet potatoes and winter squash-chocolate parfaits.

Starters & Soups

Outdated: Shrimp Cocktail
    Updated: Ginger Shrimp with Sweet-Spicy Thai Dipping Sauce

Outdated: Artichoke Spread
    Updated: Roasted Artichoke, Lemon and Garlic Dip

Outdated: Celery-Olive Tray
    Updated: Celery and Olive Antipasto with Ricotta Salata (photo)

Outdated: Oyster Soup
    Updated: Mussel Soup with Rouille Toasts

Outdated: Cream of Mushroom Soup
    Updated: Wild Mushroom Broth with Parsnip Custard

Side Dishes

Outdated: Parker House Rolls
    Updated: Parmesan-Herb Cloverleaf Rolls

Outdated: Casserole of Green Beans and Cream of Mushroom Soup
    Updated: Green Beans with Cremini Mushroom Sauce (photo)

Outdated: Steamed Brussels Sprouts with Butter
    Updated: Warm Brussels Sprout Slaw with Bacon

Outdated: Country Biscuits
    Updated: Bacon Biscuits with Roasted Apple Butter

Outdated: Fennel-and-Celery Dressing
    Updated: Parmesan-and-Sausage Stuffed Roasted Fennel

Outdated: Scalloped Potatoes
    Updated: Spicy Scalloped Rutabagas with Parsley

Outdated: Candied Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
    Updated: Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Onions

Outdated: Cauliflower au Gratin
    Updated: Creamy Cauliflower Gratin with Whole Wheat Crumbs

Outdated: Cornmeal, Onion and Sausage Dressing
    Updated: Corn Bread, Chorizo and Collard Stuffing

Outdated: Range-Top Stuffing
    Updated: Sourdough Rye Stuffing with Ham and Cheese

Main Courses

Outdated: Pineapple-Glazed Ham with Maraschino Cherries
    Updated: Spiced Smoked Ham with Mango-Cranberry Chutney (photo)

Outdated: Roast Turkey with Giblet Gravy
    Updated: Maple-Glazed Turkey with Bourbon-Pecan Gravy

Desserts

Outdated: Pumpkin Pie
    Updated: Candied Winter Squash Parfaits with Chocolate (photo)

Outdated: Mom’s Apple Pie
    Updated: Rustic Pear and Hazelnut Crostata

Outdated: Pecan Pie
    Updated: Caramelized Apple-Pecan Pie with Calvados
    Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Cranberry, apple, orange, lemon and walnut Relish (No Cook)

Makes 8 servings

3 apples

2 navel orange
    1 lemon
    1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
    2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Remove seeds and pith from apples, oranges and lemon.
    Coarsely grind cranberries, apples, oranges and lemon.

In bowl mix all fruit.
    Stir in walnuts, sugars and cinnamon.

Transfer relish to a bowl and cover; refrigerate to allow flavors to blend, at least 12 hours.
    May freeze then till ready to serve.
    RESORT2ME
    Last edited by RESORT2ME; 11-13-2013, 12:03 AM.
    Robert

Comment

Collard greens with ham hocks or smoked turkey

Collard greens
      Total Time: 7 hrs | Makes: 6 to 8 servings

Cleaning and trimming 5 pounds of collard greens is the hardest part of this recipe—after that, it’s easy. Sauté onions and garlic in a large pot, then add the greens. (It may seem odd to precook them, but wilting the collards is crucial to getting them to fit in the slow cooker.)

Transfer everything to the slow cooker, along with ham hocks or smoked turkey drumsticks for meaty, smoky flavor, and walk away for 4 or even 6 hours.

INGREDIENTS
      2 pounds smoked ham hocks or smoked turkey drumsticks
      5 pounds collard greens (about 6 bunches)
      2 tablespoons olive oil
      2 medium yellow onions, medium dice
      4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
      2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or stock
      1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
      1 tablespoon granulated sugar
      2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
      1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
      1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
      Place the ham hocks or turkey drumsticks in a 3-quart or larger slow cooker; set aside.
      Wash and dry leaves. Remove and discard the stems. Tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
      Heat oil in a large, wide-bottomed pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
      Increase the heat to high, add the broth or stock, stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Stir in the greens a handful at a time, adding more as they wilt, until they’re all in the pot.
      Turn off the heat and add 1 tablespoon of the vinegar, the sugar, measured salt, measured pepper, and cayenne and stir to combine. Transfer to the slow cooker.
      Cover and cook until the greens are very tender, about 4 to 5 hours on high or 5 to 6 hours on low.

Remove the ham hocks or turkey drumsticks to a cutting board. When they’re cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones (discard the skin and bones), shred it into bite-sized pieces, and stir it back into the greens. Add the remaining teaspoon of vinegar and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
      Robert

Comment

Sweet potato casserole

Sweet potato casserole
        Serves 6 to 8.

Ingredients:
        3 cups semi-mashed sweet potatoes
        1 cup brown sugar
        2 eggs, lightly beaten
        1 teaspoon vanilla
        1/2 cup milk
        1/2 cup melted butter
        Topping:
        1/2 cup brown sugar
        1/3 cup flour
        1/3 cup melted butter
        1 cup chopped pecans

Preparation:
        Combine first 6 ingredients. Pour into a buttered 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish. Mix remaining ingredients together and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes, until hot and browned.
        Robert

Comment

Thanks for sharing RESORT2ME....Your recipes all look great, especially the Sweet Potato Casserole.
          Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

Thanks. Will try that sweet potato dish. I love sweet potato!
            Syd

Comment

I have really been getting into Pecan Pie made with Lyle's Golden Syrup in place of corn syrup. It is like sugar crack, very addicting. I bake the pie on my Big Green Egg (charcoal grill) and get some of that wonderful smoke into the pecans.

I do a turkey on the Egg. I brine it and then I slow smoke it with apple wood and maple to get some good smoke flavor into the bird.

Love to cook, love to eat.
              vintner
              Super Moderator
              Last edited by vintner; 11-13-2013, 09:19 AM.
              Don

Comment

Yum. I love pecan pie. I also love to eat, which is why I like to cook.
                Syd

Comment

Pecan Pie sounds good for our second pie this year. I like pecan pie, but hubby doesn't, and of course it's not health food, so I haven't made in a while.

I do special bread for Thanksgiving every year; I make it the weekend before and then freeze it. I do two wheat sheaves for Thanksgiving, usually with the herb mustard and honey rum butters. Sometimes I'll do the Christmas tree with the cranberry butter, too. The original recipe calls for way more unbleached flour than whole wheat; I usually do 50/50.

Oats ‘n’ Wheat Holiday Bread

3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups Unbleached flour
                  1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
                  1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
                  2 tsps salt
                  2 pkg. Active dry yeast
                  1 cup water
                  1 cup milk
                  3/4 cup butter
                  2 eggs, beaten
                  1 cup rolled oats

TOPPING
                  1 egg, beaten
                  1 Tbs rolled oats (for sheaf of wheat)
                  1 tsp sesame seed (for Christmas tree)

Grease 2 large cookie sheets. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast; blend well. In medium saucepan, heat water, milk and butter until very warm (120 to 130 F). Add warm liquid and 2 eggs to flour mixture; blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in 1 cup rolled oats and 1 1/2 to 2 cups unbleached flour until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.

On floured surface, knead in 1/2 to 1 cup all purpose flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80 to 85F) until light and doubled in size, about 50 minutes.

Punch dough down several times to remove all air bubbles. Divide dough in half. Place 1/2 of dough in greased bowl; cover. Shape 1/2 of dough as directed for Sheaf of Wheat. Shape remaining 1/2 as directed for Christmas Tree.

To shape sheaf of wheat, divide remaining dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll 7 pieces into seven 12-inch ropes; place next to each other on greased cookie sheet. Roll 1 piece into 9-inch rope; place crosswise on top of 7 ropes 1/3 from top. Using scissors, snip tops of 7 ropes to resemble wheat; separate slightly. Brush dough with beaten egg; sprinkle snipped tops with T tbs rolled oats. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size; about 30 minutes.

Heat oven to 375F. Uncover dough. Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. 8 breadsticks.

To shape Christmas tree, using 2 1/2 inch star-shaped cookie cutter, cut star out of small piece of reserved dough; place near top on greased cookie sheet. Divide remaining dough into 11 pieces; shape 10 pieces for balls for tree and shape 1 piece into rectangle for trunk. Place balls under star to form tree. Begin with 1 ball for top; arrange two balls just below, with sides touching. Continue arranging a row of 3 balls, then a row of 4 balls. Place rectangle at bottom of tree for trunk. Brush dough with beaten egg; sprinkle with sesame seed. Let rise and bake as directed above. Carefully remove tree from cookie sheet. 12 rolls.

Cranberry Orange Butter

1/2 cup butter, softened
                  3 Tbs whole cranberry sauce
                  1 tsp grated orange peel or 1/2 tsp flavoring

In small bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in remaining ingredients. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week. Allow to soften slightly before serving. 3/4 cup

Honey Rum Butter

1/2 cup butter, softened
                  2 Tbs honey
                  1/2 tsp rum extract

In small bowl, beat all ingredients until light and fluffy. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks. Allow to soften slightly before serving. 3/4 cup

Herb Mustard Butter

1 cup butter, softened (do not use margarine)
                  1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
                  3 Tbs chopped fresh chives
                  2 to 3 tsps Dijon mustard
                  2 tsps lemon juice

In medium bowl, beat all ingredients until light and fluffy. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks. Allow to soften slightly before serving. 1 cup

If you have kidlets there, these are fun (hubby nukes the caramel and then lets each kid put their own turkey together):

Cookie Candy Turkeys

12 chocolate candy stars
                  12 caramels, unwrapped
                  12 scalloped chocolate frosted striped shortbread cookies
                  12 pieces candy corn

MICROWAVE directions:
                  To make each turkey, place chocolate star, point side up, on work surface. Place one caramel on microwave-safe waxed paper; microwave on HIGH for 5 to 10 seconds or just until slightly softened. Place softened caramel on tip of chocolate star, pressing down so they stick together. To make the tail, press chocolate cookie, striped side facing forward, firmly against the soft caramel to stand upright. Press candy corn vertically on top of caramel to resemble turkey's head and beak.
                  12 turkeys

Comment

I love this because it uses two native North American foods (cranberries and cornmeal). It's basically golden brownies (aka blondies) made with cornmeal and cranberries.

Cranberry Cornmeal Torte

3/4 cup sugar
                    3/4 cup butter, softened
                    1 Tbs vanilla
                    1 egg
                    1 cup unbleached flour
                    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
                    1 1/4 tsp baking powder
                    3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
                    whipped cream

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 8 or 9-inch springform pan. In large bowl, combine sugar, butter, vanilla and egg; beat until well blended.

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Stir in flour, cornmeal, and baking powder until well mixed. Spoon into greased and floured pan. Sprinkle with cranberries; press in slightly.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 to 45 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool at least 1 hour 15 minutes or until completely cooled.

Garnish torte with whipped cream. Store in refrigerator.
                    12 servings.

Comment

Working...
                    X