Why Kareem is Kareem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Kareem is Kareem

For many years I have been impressed with Kareem (Lew) Jabbar (Alcindor) as a person who is so much more than just an incredible athlete. Certainly he was that, but instead of trying to deny that aspect of who he was, he embraced it and then moved past it and made sure that did not let that define him.

So he comes up with those erudite piece on LeBron's return to Cleveland. IMHO, this piece connects on so many levels. From the scholarly detail (of the people who connect the phrase with Thomas Wolfe, how many realize that he didn't coin it - I didn't) to the practical applications to the personal reminiscences.

Why LeBron Can’t Go Home Again
    “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Perhaps I'm not as scholarly as Kareem, but I don't really get his point. Lebron will do very well in Cleveland and he has erased the bad memory of The Decision in the minds of Cleveland fans. It will be a challenge to win the NBA title, but Cleveland will definitely be in the running as long as they have decent luck with injuries. If he does take Cleveland to a title within the next 5 years, he'll be a lifetime hero in his old stomping grounds. I think his move to Cleveland makes a lot of sense and with the group of young talent on the Cavs he'll likely do it.

Comment

It will be up to LeBron, imo. Clevelanders will love him when he returns to C-town unless he does something very stupid. Cleveland Rocks !

When did Kareem become a sports writer ?

Comment

In about 40 years if you ask people who Kareem was, most will probably say a muslim terrorist.

Comment

All I know is Anthony took less money to stay with the Knicks and with the less money it gives the Knicks a chance to pay another top player, In other words he wants to help NY win it all
          Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

I agree that you can't go home again. Lebron is all about Lebron and nothing else. I don't really care as I am definitely not a Lebron James fan, nor Cleveland, nor Miami fan. I was very happy that the Spurs demolished the Heat and I am not a Spurs fan. I happen to be an ex Laker fan and now a Clippers fan, especially Blake Griffin who is not so full of himself as James is.

Las Vegas has now picked the Cavaliers to win the NBA next season which I believe is very presumptious. If the Heat got demolished by the Spurs and the Heat had James, Wade, and Bosh, what makes them think that the Cavaliers will win. I don't know who will win but I bet it will be a Western team.

BTW, I was a big fan of the Lakers when Jabbar played but not so much a fan of him. I was also a big UCLA fan when Lew Alcindor played there.
            John

Comment

Originally posted by JWC View Post
              I agree that you can't go home again.
              I really have no idea what this means as applied here to Lebron James. Want to enlighten us?

Comment

I watched Lew Alcindor play in 1964. (Power Memorial vs Dematha at Cole Field House, University of Maryland) He was a class act, even then

Comment

Originally posted by ace2000 View Post
                  I really have no idea what this means as applied here to Lebron James. Want to enlighten us?
                  Didn't you read the the piece by Kareem Jabbar at the link posted by the OP? It is pretty self explanatory.
                  John

Comment

His piece on the Donald Sterling debacle was equally well written http://time.com/79590/donald-sterlin...jabbar-racism/ I was a fan of the player...but now, I'm a fan of the man.

Comment

Didn't you read the the piece by Kareem Jabbar at the link posted by the OP? It is pretty self explanatory.
                      Way to duck the question. I asked you for your interpretation.

I just don't see anything worthwhile in that piece, nothing profound, nothing that adds to my knowledge about Lebron or about why he chose to come back. Just curious why anyone that say that they enjoyed that piece, did.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying into the fact that Cleveland will not be accepting Lebron back (or even keeping a wary eye as Kareem says). When the Cavs start contending for the NBA title, the fact that he left will be completely forgotten. They were not winning the NBA title with the team they had when he left - which is why Lebron chose to leave in the first place. Now they probably will win, and they probably will win many. They've accumulated three number 1 picks in the draft since he left - not round 1 picks - but the top pick in the NBA draft for three years. In the end, I think everyone will be pretty happy that he left and came back.

Cleveland has not won a major sports championship since 1964, I'm pretty sure if Lebron wins one for them, they'll likely forget all about The Decision.
                      ace2000
                      Last edited by ace2000; 07-17-2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Way to duck the question. I asked you for your interpretation.
                        No, this is what you said.

"I really have no idea what this means as applied here to Lebron James. Want to enlighten us?"

That is not asking for my interpretation. Nobody else is questioning it.

Quite frankly I couldn't care less what happens with Lebron nor Cleveland. I don't like either one.

FYI, I was using the general term about going home again, not necessarily as applied to professional athletes. They tend to go where the money is and/or championship teams.
                        JWC
                        Super Moderator
                        Last edited by JWC; 07-18-2014, 09:18 PM.
                        John

Comment

I agree that you can't go home again.
                          Here are the exact quotes. I just thought you might want to explain what that phrase meant to you in regards to Lebron. If you don't, it's not a big deal. Let's move on then.

Comment

Here are the exact quotes. I just thought you might want to explain what that phrase meant to you in regards to Lebron. If you don't, it's not a big deal. Let's move on then.
                            It meant nothing with regards to Lebron James. As I said, I am definitely not a fan of him so I don't care where he goes as long as he doesn't go to the Clippers which is my favorite team.
                            John

Comment

Kareem was my favorite NBA player while I was growing up, and especially during his playing days with the Bucks. That is until Larry Bird came upon the scene.

Why has Kareem been the only player to master that hook shot??? It was unstoppable! There have been a few try but nobody could shoot it as consistently as he could.

Comment

Working...
                              X