Hot wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot wine?

OK I thought my friends were pulling my leg or made a mistake and it was hot apple cider. Nope it was heated red wine. We went to PEDDLERS Village in PA and they had a wine that gets heated up. We liked it so much I bought a case. I figure it will be gone with the holidays here now by 3-4 weeks.

I am adding the winery info
    www.Chaddsford.com Winery in Peddelers village in Lahaska PA 215 794 9655 the name of the wine is Holiday Spirit and the winery does ship
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Glühwein is great stuff. One can make mulled spice wine at home with spice packets.

Comment

I have a bottle downstairs that's supposed to be served hot(bought at a lake Erie winery)---never seem to get to it in the winter though--maybe this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by BWolf View Post
        Glühwein is great stuff. One can make mulled spice wine at home with spice packets.
        I think I've had that a few years ago at an outdoor Octoberfest. I was told it's a very popular holiday drink in Germany.....It was yummy!
        Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

The one I have is called holiday Spirit I think? I will post more info when I go look at it again

Comment

Originally posted by ArtsieAng View Post
            I think I've had that a few years ago at an outdoor Octoberfest. I was told it's a very popular holiday drink in Germany.....It was yummy!
            That is true. We enjoyed it during our years in Germany. Sometimes we find some in a liquor store here and buy a few bottles.

Comment

I am not a big wine drinker, in fact I can live without it cause it makes me loopy. I went to xmas show and a nc winery was doing samples and we tried a hot one that tasted absolutely wonderful. Still kicking myself for not buying a bottle, I have no idea what it was. shaggy

Comment

Hot spiced wine, called Gluhwein, is popular in Germany and German influenced countries in Europe during the winter. I have had it in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Romania, and Moldova.

Comment

Chaddsford Winery

I have the winery info
                  Welcome to Chaddsford Winery in Peddelers village in Lahaska PA 215 794 9655 the name of the wine is Holiday Spirit and the winery does ship

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
                    Hot spiced wine, called Gluhwein, is popular in Germany and German influenced countries in Europe during the winter. I have had it in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Romania, and Moldova.

I don't usually drink red wine because it gives me a headache but I had this in Germany and it was delicious.
                    Kay H

Comment

I once had a lady work for me who was from Romania and every time someone had a cold she would bring the hot wine.

Lynn

Comment

Mulled wine is often served at winter outdoor events, like school bonfire nights etc. It's easy to make your own and is a good way to use cheaper red wines.

Try this:

2 x 750ml* bottles of red wine (eg Chianti) - (*750 ml = 25.36 US fluid ounces)
                        150g castor sugar -
                        peel of one lemon
                        peel of one orange
                        1/2 cup orange juice
                        1 star anise
                        1 cinnamon stick
                        5 cloves
                        1 tsp fresh nutmeg
                        pinch of ginger

1. Place all ingredient except the wine into a large saucepan and place on medium heat. Add just a small glug of red wine to the pan to ensure the sugar is covered and let it cook for 4-5 minutes until it becomes thick and sticky. This should let all the spices infuse well.

2. Once the mixture has become sticky enough, add the rest of the wine and turn down the heat. You don’t want the wine to boil otherwise all the alcohol will evaporate! Let cook for 5 minutes and serve hot with slices of fresh orange.

If you don't like those spices, use your favourites instead.

We usually leave the saucepan on a low heat and serve using a ladle as guests arrive.

Comment

I make mulled wine in a crock pot during Christmas holidays, keeping it on low and serving it with a soup ladle.

Comment

Working...
                          X