Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Day in Melbourne - City Sightseeing or Great Ocean Road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Day in Melbourne - City Sightseeing or Great Ocean Road?

I will only have one day in Melbourne (on a cruise) and have to decide what to do - see the city or do the day trip outlined below. I will be spending 3 days post cruise in Sydney so will have a "city" experience then.

Wanted to hear from others that are familiar with the area to get your opinions.
    At this point, I am leaning towards the tour but would hate to miss something wonderful in the city.

TIA

"All our drivers are "Tour Guides" as well. They give running commentaryback to Melbourne by 4:30 pm.
    along the travel.
    This tour takes you through Geelong city and we take the "Inland Route"
    stopping at Colac city for tea break (at your own expense), driving through
    Colac valley we join the Great Ocean Road at Port Campbell. Driving along
    the coastline we stop at Loc Ard Gorge for 30 minutes for the sightseeing
    and then travel to The 12 Apostles where we stop for 30 minutes. From there
    we travel along the Great Ocean Road, driving through the rain forests and
    stopping at The Laver's Hill for lunch which is included in the price of the
    tour. After lunch we travel through the forests again and join the Princes
    Highway at Colac and travel back to Melbourne.

Pick up at cruise terminal 7:45 - 8:00 a.m and
    drop back to Melbourne cruise ship terminal by 4:30 pm."

"Included Highlights:

Travel through the Winchelsea and the Colac Otway Shire to the inland city of Colac
    Pass through the pretty town of Port Campbell
    Enjoy some spectacular scenery along the Great Ocean Road
    Visit Loch Ard Gorge, Razorback and Island Arch
    See the fascinating Twelve Apostles at Port Campbell National Park and walk to the lookouts
    Drive through the beautiful rainforest of the Great Otway National Park
    FREE restaurant lunch included
    Excellent photo opportunities
    Listen to some of the amazing stories of the Ship Wreck Coast
    Arrive back in Melbourne in the afternoon – approximately 4:30pm"
    Pat
    *** My Website ***

Since you only have one day, definitely The Great Ocean Road. Melbourne is like any other small city that's not very interesting. I lived there for 2 years so should know. They talk about their cafes, shopping and Italian food but seriously, it's just hype. This is my personal opinion of course and I'm sure there are Melbournians out there who think otherwise.
    Syd

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney
      Since you only have one day, definitely The Great Ocean Road. Melbourne is like any other small city that's not very interesting. I lived there for 2 years so should know. They talk about their cafes, shopping and Italian food but seriously, it's just hype. This is my personal opinion of course and I'm sure there are Melbournians out there who think otherwise.
      Thank you Syd, I was hoping u would chime in as I remembered u had lived there.

Thanks for your input
      Pat
      *** My Website ***

Comment

Thanks Syd!

We're on the cruise with Pat too and were also trying to decide which tour to do. It sounds like The Great Ocean Road is the one.

Pat now we have to get on Cruise Critic and contact Sharon again. If you and Maria and Lyman and I go that would be 6 so we'd only need 4 more.

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by LynnW
          Thanks Syd!

We're on the cruise with Pat too and were also trying to decide which tour to do. It sounds like The Great Ocean Road is the one.

Pat now we have to get on Cruise Critic and contact Sharon again. If you and Maria and Lyman and I go that would be 6 so we'd only need 4 more.

Lynn
          I thought 'snazzy' Sharon had sent you the email so I did not forward it to you last evening.
          I will do so now.

I have not heard from Maria just yet - LisaH and her DH have not decided.
          I will post on CC and send Sharon an email with my commitment.
          I did not know we needed 10 - I hope it works out as pick up and drop off at the ship would be great.

Looking forward to seeing Sydney in Sydney
          Pat
          *** My Website ***

Comment

Yes Sharon did e-mail me and I told her we would be interested if she could get the 10 people.

Syd this is a little of topic but i remember reading somewhere that there are no coffee makers in Australian timeshares. Is this true? I think I mentioned to you before that we are staying at Pacific Palms.

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney
              Totally agree with Sydney on this: Great Ocean Road is a must. While I didn't live there, I did the trip, "backwards" coming from Adelaide towards Melbourne. I've seen a lot of coastlines but every one is uniquely spectacular and I would take that over the city any day!

Comment

I asked my native Melbourne friend and she also said definitely do the tour. You can get a city fix in Sydney.

Comment

Working...
                X