Travel warning for Fiji

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel warning for Fiji

There has been a travel warning by the Australian and New Zealand goverments about traveling in Fiji there is trouble in the goverment there and on the news last night people were leaving there it is a shame for the people that live there as they are so nice and wecoming to you there is so many resorts time share and not that will be afecked by this trouble and so many jobs lost so if any one is thinking of going to Fiji in the near future be aware of the trouble

I know, what a shame. We just completed a Worldmark purchase for the purpose of going to Fiji. Guess that's out of the question now.
    Syd

Comment

How do you think the exchange company's are going to deal with the people that are already booked to go to Fiji? Will they be reimburse?
      Some people booked a year in advance.
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...479426,00.html
      What I once considered boring, I now consider paradise.
      Faust

Comment

Yes this a very good question goverments are telling people to stay away exchange companys saying it is ok to go these weeks have been booked in good times so now things have changed how about there being some way of getting out of these exchanges with no penilty to the week owner

Comment

Well, I just checked the Worldmark South Pacific site and they said they'll restore members' credits if they choose to cancel.
          Syd

Comment

Well that is good Sydney well done World mark but what about the others I see RCI is pushing these resorts on endless vacation there are people that might not know about the state of things in Fiji Is it RCI thing to let people buy these resorts and get into trouble come on goverments are saying not to go RCI is saying yes buy these resorts

Comment

US State Dept advisories

Here is a link to the US Dept of State and its travel advisories.

Interestingly, Fiji is not on its current warning list. I also checked the RCI web site for its travel warnings, and there was nothing about Fiji.
              Mike H
              Wyndham Fairshare Plus Owners, Be cool and join the Wyndham/FairfieldHOA forum!

Comment

On the other hand

Although there is no official US Dept of State advisory on Fiji, here is the Consular information sheet put out as a Public Announcement by the US Dept of State as of today, 11/30/06:

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
                Office of the Spokesman

This information is current as of today, document.write(Date()+".") Thu Nov 30 19:30:23 2006.
                Fiji
                November 22, 2006

This Public Announcement updates the Department of State’s concerns about the situation in Fiji, particularly the continued deterioration of civilian-military relations in Fiji and threats by the Commander of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces of action against the democratically elected government. This Public Announcement supersedes the Public Announcement issued on November 3, 2006, and expires on January 22, 2007.
                The Department of State reminds U.S. citizens of the current security situation in Fiji, including the November 21 public threat by the military commander to forcibly remove the government by early December if the government does not accede to his demands. All American citizens in Fiji are urged to continue to monitor events closely and to remain vigilant with regard to their personal security. At present, Fiji remains calm; however, the security situation could deteriorate without warning. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. American citizens are therefore urged to avoid any political or military demonstrations, and at a minimum to exercise caution in the vicinity of any demonstrations.
                The Department of State and the Embassy in Suva are continuing to follow developments closely. For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov where the current Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, Travel Warnings, and Public Announcements can be found. Up to date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the United States and Canada, or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
                American citizens traveling or residing in Fiji are encouraged to register with the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy. American citizens may also register at https://travelregistration.state.gov. The Embassy is located at 31 Loftus Street in Suva. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling (679) 331-4466 and by e-mail at consularsuva@state.gov.
                Mike H
                Wyndham Fairshare Plus Owners, Be cool and join the Wyndham/FairfieldHOA forum!

Comment

The warnings have by the Australian and New Zealand goverments for the last month but the last 2 or 3 days it has been more headlines saying to not go and warning people to leave there I am only going on what is being said in news papers and the daily news on tv

Comment

This is all I see in rci for the months of December, January, February.

Malolo Lailai Lagoon Resort Club (#2884)
                    c/o Musket Cove Resort
                    Malolo Lailai Island Fiji Islands
                    445-9342

Unit Options Select Unit Type Max Occ/Privacy Kitchen Check-in Date Check-out Date

1 Bedroom 4 / 2 Mini 02/03/2007 02/10/2007

At lest rci doesn't have any postings for the month of December.
                    Faust

Comment

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Fiji and have been following the story. If anyone would be interested in reading about it from a Fijian news source you could try this link http://www.fijilive.com/.
                      I hope that a peaceful solution to the problem can be worked out.
                      Thanks to my sister, we own a leg lamp.

Comment

If you look again Ken you will see there is resorts 2 for Dec the resort you have said and the Worldmark resort Fiji 5883 Dec 15 the time I look it up was 3pm eastern Australian time they have been there for some time now no wonder

Comment

That's right. I've checked every day and Naigani and Worldmark has been available as bonus weeks.
                          Syd

Comment

Originally posted by chubby
                            If you look again Ken you will see there is resorts 2 for Dec the resort you have said and the Worldmark resort Fiji 5883 Dec 15 the time I look it up was 3pm eastern Australian time they have been there for some time now no wonder
                            I can not see these Dec resorts, the only one I see is in Feb.
                            Faust

Comment

Both Sydney and my self can see the world mark resort and the Nagani Island Resort for Dec on our extra vacations and there still there today
                              If anyone wants to go they go at there own risk I have given the warning of the trouble over there and Rci wants to go on trying to sell these resorts they can do so but I think when two goverments give warnings they should do some thing as familys are at risk

Comment

Working...
                              X