Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CarolF - Fiji?

Originally posted by CarolF View Post
    I can't remember how we managed to buy from such disinterested timeshare sales staff but we bought 2 weeks.
    Carol, may I ask where did you buy and do you still own there?

We are going to Fiji in Sept for 2 1/2 wks. Staying 12 nts at Worldmark and doing a 7nt cruise.

It's our first time there and I would love to get some advice on taxis/transportion from airport to resort and any must see sights.

We'll have 4 children and a baby with us.

Thanks!
    Syd

Hi Sydney

It was Fiji Palms (over 20 years ago), I sold it long ago.

I haven't been to Fiji recently so I don't think any information I have would be relevant. I was considering Fiji for a holiday destination recently and checked out the Lonely Planet books for ideas and costs etc. It is a lot more expensive (compared to Asian destinations) than when I was there last.

It is a great destination to take children because the locals LOVE children/babies and will play with them and make you feel very welcome. I always chose holiday destinations with that in mind when my son was little. There is never a shortage of willing baby sitters if you need one, sometimes you can employ a local "girl" at a very reasonable cost and know that your children will be loved to death and wonderfully entertained not only by her but also her whole family.

For inexpensive and educational ideas I always remember the absolutely brilliant time I had at a local church service,
    colourful with the most wonderful, vibrant, uplifting singing. The locals get dressed in their fine Sunday clothes and it is quite a spectacle. I'm not a practicing christian but went along for the experience. The local markets are colourful and fun for children too. You will probably get invited to a Kava ceremony, it tastes disgusting but if you like rituals its very interesting. The cultural centres can be rather good for children too, the traditional dancing is great and the centres have stuff about Fijian history. Children are often intrigued by the cannibalism (some just love that gory stuff) so the history is not ordinary dry information.

Hope you have a great time, I'm very jealous.

Comment

Thanks very much Carol!

Your suggestions are a big help. We'll definately attend a church service and Kava ceremony. The kids will be fascinated by the local history and culture.

I know Fiji's a lot more expensive than Asia. We were in Bangkok in 2005 and Tahiti/NZ last year so thought we'd give Fiji a go. I'd love to go back to China again and do the Great Wall with all the kids and spend some more time in Asia, maybe Vietnam or Thailand. Also want to spend a month or two in Europe!

Ahh! Such an interesting world and not enough time and money.
      Syd

Comment

Working...
      X