Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Vancouver neighborhood would you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Vancouver neighborhood would you recommend?

Thinking about a summer trip to Vancouver, perhaps combined with Seattle. If we don't get a timeshare, which Vancouver neighborhood would you recommend for a 3 or 4 night hotel stay? No kids. Interested in both charm and convenience. TIA

Wedgewood Hotel is supposed to be smallish,charming and romantic.
    Great choice of vacation destination! I'm sure you have friends in the neighborhood

Comment

Originally posted by happymum View Post
      Wedgewood Hotel is supposed to be smallish,charming and romantic.
      Great choice of vacation destination! I'm sure you have friends in the neighborhood
      Thanks, I will check it out! Not used to flying west in the summertime but exploring possibilities since DW wants to try something new.

Comment

I was looking into Victoria on Vancouver Island recently, I know it's not the same as Vancouver city but, there were several nice places available on vrbo at good prices.

Comment

This is one of my bucket list trips...Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver. I'm going to have to put my foot down for 2014 because it always get pushed aside. I can do it all in WM. Are you looking for this summer or next?

Comment

Originally posted by StressCadet View Post
            This is one of my bucket list trips...Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver. I'm going to have to put my foot down for 2014 because it always get pushed aside. I can do it all in WM. Are you looking for this summer or next?
            THAT would be ideal, maybe with Whistler thrown in if I don't get there over the winter. BUT we are probably going to be limited to one week, so will have to cut it down to two (max). Thinking this summer, but if not since it's late for air, then next.

Comment

We did this a few years ago. Booked trip via ferry company than runs from Seattle to Victoria. They handled details. I'm a planner and usually like to do my own trip planning, but was very happy with how this turned out. If you want more details I'll see what info I still have. We stayed in Seattle one night, took Amtrak to Vancouver (stayed downtown), took bus onto ferry to Victoria. Spent night in Victoria then took ferry back to Seattle. Trip included Taxis, etc.

Believe they got us better lodging than if we had paid same amount and did on our own.

Nancy

We used clippervacations.com.
              Nancy
              Platinum Contributor
              Last edited by Nancy; 04-21-2013, 07:07 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Originally posted by philsfan View Post
                I was looking into Victoria on Vancouver Island recently, I know it's not the same as Vancouver city but, there were several nice places available on vrbo at good prices.
                Thanks - this would be a city trip unless we just did a week b/t the city and the island. Not out of the question.

Originally posted by Nancy View Post
                We did this a few years ago. Booked trip via ferry company than runs from Seattle to Victoria. They handled details. I'm a planner and usually like to do my own trip planning, but was very happy with how this turned out. If you want more details I'll see what info I still have. We stayed in Seattle one night, took Amtrak to Vancouver (stayed downtown), took bus onto ferry to Victoria. Spent night in Victoria then took ferry back to Seattle. Trip included Taxis, etc.

Believe they got us better lodging than if we had paid same amount and did on our own.

Nancy

We used clippervacations.com.
                I will check into that, thanks.

Comment

RC and II often have summer getaways in Vancouver - Lord Stanley Suites (LRP) and VI Rosedale on Robson (6313). If you book at hotel try signing up for Vancouver Groupon, Wagjag Jaunt, Travelzoo, etc. Look for a place downtown or in West or North Vancouver. I wouldn't want to stay any further south than Kitsilano.

Comment

If you're a AAA member, they often have package deals for travel/lodging between Victoria and Seattle, Vancouver and Seattle.
                    No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

Comment

Has anyone done whale watching in the San Juan Islands? I don't know we can do all I'd like to in a week, but if we go all the way there I'd like to see the Orcas!

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
                        Has anyone done whale watching in the San Juan Islands? I don't know we can do all I'd like to in a week, but if we go all the way there I'd like to see the Orcas!
                        We did a boat tour to the San Juan Islands, but it wasn't during whale season. It was the worst trip I've ever taken. I only say that because the sea was really rough and I was sick (thank goodness for the barf bags) all the way over. Luckily dh had dramamine with him and I took one before we headed back. Otherwise I might still be there.
                        Luanne

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne View Post
                          We did a boat tour to the San Juan Islands, but it wasn't during whale season. It was the worst trip I've ever taken. I only say that because the sea was really rough and I was sick (thank goodness for the barf bags) all the way over. Luckily dh had dramamine with him and I took one before we headed back. Otherwise I might still be there.
                          I'm sorry that happened to you! I've encountered that every time I've gone whale watching off Long Island. I don't get seasick, but I stopped going because of all the barfers on board. If we do a whale trip, I think we'll stay in the islands one night and go from there. I'd love to do a little zodiac day.

I've put requests in for timeshare, but looking at neighborhoods for hotel/b&bs in the meantime. This thread has me leaning toward Kitsilano:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-..._Columbia.html

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
                            I've put requests in for timeshare, but looking at neighborhoods for hotel/b&bs in the meantime. This thread has me leaning toward Kitsilano:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-..._Columbia.html
                            I'm not real familiar with Vancouver, even though younger dd spent a year there in school. When I went up with her we stayed on campus. I've also stayed in a Hampton Inn on Robson near the BC stadium which was nice. Kitsilano is supposed to be a nice neighborhood. I think dd said a lot of students live there. She also kept talking about "Commercial" which is supposed to be fun, and a friend of mine who lives in Canada, said her dd lived, or lives there.
                            Luanne

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne View Post
                              I'm not real familiar with Vancouver, even though younger dd spent a year there in school. When I went up with her we stayed on campus. I've also stayed in a Hampton Inn on Robson near the BC stadium which was nice. Kitsilano is supposed to be a nice neighborhood. I think dd said a lot of students live there. She also kept talking about "Commercial" which is supposed to be fun, and a friend of mine who lives in Canada, said her dd lived, or lives there.
                              Yes, Commercial and Kitsilano are compared in the thread I mentioned. The #1 B&B on Tripadvisor is in the Commercial Drive area.

Comment

Working...
                              X