Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Vancouver neighborhood would you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading the great thread and having been to Kits, but not Commercial - I would definitely choose Kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
      Yes, Commercial and Kitsilano are compared in the thread I mentioned. The #1 B&B on Tripadvisor is in the Commercial Drive area.
      I didn't look at the thread until after I'd posted. :-)
      Luanne

Comment

I lived in Vancouver, Victoria, and Seattle. My wife and I did a loop trip to all 3 cities and did all the tourist stuff. We flew to Vancouver from Southern California. In Vancouver we stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront hotel for 4 nights. We had a deluxe room on an upper floor facing the water overlooking Canada Place where the cruise ships dock. It was a great location with great views of the harbor and mountains. It is very convenient to many things and the Hop on Hop off tour busses, which I highly recommend, are right in front of the hotel.

From Vancouver we did the Rocky Mountaineer 6 day train tour to Kamloops, Jasper Alberta, Quesnel, Whistler, returned to Vancouver. We stayed in hotels at each of the cities.

We then took the bus from the Fairmont Waterfront hotel to downtown Victoria where we stayed at the Marriott Harbor hotel for 3 nights. We did all the tours, Butchart's Gardens, tourist stuff, etc..

We then took the Victoria Clipper to Seattle where we stayed at the Grand Hyatt in downtown Seattle for 3 nights. Again we did tours and other tourist stuff.

We got along just fine without a car.

I do think the loop, excluding the train tour, was a good way to go. It was interesting to do the tourist thing after having lived in the three cities.
        JWC
        Super Moderator
        Last edited by JWC; 04-24-2013, 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling
        John

Comment

Ok, looking good for this trip... possibly extending to 9 or 10 days We've not yet booked air but fares to/from Seattle are better than to Vancouver (from NY) so we are thinking 4 -5 nights Vancouver, 2 -3 nights San Juan Islands for whales and nature, and then 2 nights in Seattle on the way home....

No "tours" for us.... but should we divide it differently? Is there enough to do in Vancouver to keep us occupied for 4 or 5 nights? We are happy with good food, music, people/culture and casual (untour) sightseeing. Nature a plus, but I don't want to drive more than an hour or so while we're in the city since we've got enough driving to/from Seattle and SJIs.

A few neighborhood questions: Kitsilano, on the map and based on reviews and your recos, looks ideal. But when I view photos of the B&Bs and surrounds there, it looks a bit suburban to this NYC dweller. Is it that the city looks that way but for the commercial downtown area? Is it like Noe Valley in San Francisco - part of the city but residential? Or is it an entirely new experience that I shouldn't try to compare? Is there anything like the Union Square area in SFO? I wouldn't want to be anywhere like the NYC financial district on holiday.

I have put in requests for Rosedale on Robson - if that comes through it won't be a question. But if we are paying retail I'd like to optimize to the extent possible...

We almost booked air tonight, just not quite there yet - tomorrow I'm calling the whale people to be sure I've got the right dates. Also awaiting confirmation from a B&B in the islands that it's available, but we have some flexibility so I expect it will work. Trying not to get overly excited, but this is a bucket list trip and it looks like a go. For 2014, btw, there are plenty weeks available at ROR, we just can't book that far ahead these days.

Comment

Glitter,

I may have missed it. What are you travel dates/availability for this summer? Some of us may be able to help you.
            Mike H
            Wyndham Fairshare Plus Owners, Be cool and join the Wyndham/FairfieldHOA forum!

Comment

Originally posted by mshatty View Post
              Glitter,

I may have missed it. What are you travel dates/availability for this summer? Some of us may be able to help you.
              Thanks, Mike. I'm still playing with dates but currently looking to be in Vancouver around 8/2 for four or five nights. End of August still a possibility but I'm juggling a few things.

Comment

I highly recommend Cedarbrook Lodge for your stay in Seattle - beautiful grounds and fabulous restaurant. If only it was a timeshare I would buy a week!
                cedarbrooklodge.com

Comment

Originally posted by eal View Post
                  I highly recommend Cedarbrook Lodge for your stay in Seattle - beautiful grounds and fabulous restaurant. If only it was a timeshare I would buy a week!
                  cedarbrooklodge.com
                  Thanks - looks lovely!

Comment

I stayed at worldmark Canadian in Vancouver last Nov and it is a good location next to the Sheraton. Some Worldmark owners may be able to help you with a reservation. VI Rosedale on Robson has availability for 2014 now and had some 2013 earlier but they are all gone now.

Hotels you have all the large chains such as Sheraton, Hyatt, Hilton, Mariott, Fairmont and some of the smaller hotels chains and boutiques. Since you are from NYC and there only for a short period, I would say focus on the downtown area rather than one of the suburbs. If costs is an issue, there is a 4pts in Richmond near the airport that is category 2.
                    Traveling Broadens the mind and I want to do more French Quarter Fest in New Orleans is my favourite festival

Comment

Originally posted by MaryH View Post
                      If costs is an issue, there is a 4pts in Richmond near the airport that is category 2.
                      I wouldn't suggest staying near the airport as you'd be out of the "town" area. It's not a tremendously long drive, but it's just not the real feel of Vancouver. At least in my opinion.
                      Luanne

Comment

I stayed at worldmark Canadian in Vancouver last Nov and it is a good location next to the Sheraton. Some Worldmark owners may be able to help you with a reservation. VI Rosedale on Robson has availability for 2014 now and had some 2013 earlier but they are all gone now.

Hotels you have all the large chains such as Sheraton, Hyatt, Hilton, Mariott, Fairmont and some of the smaller hotels chains and boutiques. Since you are from NYC and there only for a short period, I would say focus on the downtown area rather than one of the suburbs. If costs is an issue, there is a 4pts in Richmond near the airport that is category 2.
                        Originally posted by Luanne View Post
                        I wouldn't suggest staying near the airport as you'd be out of the "town" area. It's not a tremendously long drive, but it's just not the real feel of Vancouver. At least in my opinion.
                        this is a big trip for us, so we'd prefer a prime location. Costs are lower than here so it softens the blow somewhat. Looking at downtown boutique hotels - for the time being I found one with a kitchen that I can reserve and cancel up to one day prior. Still on the fence about dates/air, doing a bit more research before pulling the trigger on air.

eta: I found Marriott points I forgot I even had! Enough to cover 5 nights at Residence Inn Downtown - 63 ft (actually looks like a few blocks) from the Wedgewood Hotel... reviews look fine to me!

MaryH, are you still enjoying the Jazz Festival, or is that an old sig?
                        Glitter Brunello
                        Super Moderator
                        Last edited by Glitter Brunello; 04-26-2013, 12:57 AM.

Comment

If it is the residence inn on Hornby, my friend stayed there while I stayed at Worldmark Vancouver when we were both there for work. He said it was perfectly fine and nice to have a kitchen but with the nice restaurants in Vancouver, we were eating out just about every night with breakfast and lunch being catered. I think he (or his company) was paying about $159 or $179 plus tax per night.

The 4pts near the airport I stayed at only 1 night on a redemption before I flew out. 10 mins walk from skytrain and 25 mins to downtown. Not my first choice when staying in Vancouver (previous times stayed at Hyatt downtown and Hampton Inn not far from Canada Place) near but with 3-4K SPG points per redemption vs $100-130 rates, it is worth considering if costs are an issue and you have the 15-20K SPG points or if you have an early flight out. My stay was not trouble free (i.e. some noise issue from other guest) but it was a standard 4pts and fair deal for a redemption.

lol Sorry it was last year and an old sig, forgot to change it. Went to French Quarter Fest this year and I far preferred it to Jazz Fest.
                          Traveling Broadens the mind and I want to do more French Quarter Fest in New Orleans is my favourite festival

Comment

Just prior to 9-11-01 our travel agent suggested we stay at Blue Horizons - an OK hotel right downtown (could walk to the Harborfront. Spent Sept 8, 9 there and visited via bus the Granville Is. Our cruise took off and on the 2nd morn. out.. came the news of the disaster in NYC. I'll never forget that wk long trip to AK and back. The locale was right there with the glass highrises.. it was clean, no frills, but very convenient.. even to the Bushart Gardens. (which we had not enuf time to do) In a later yr we did Victoria.. stayed at a really neat boutique small downtown resort run by Destinations... The name escapes me... like 'Grand Victoria'.. traded on II I believe. Loved that city.. we took the Seattle Clipper to get there.. and back. Good luck
                            Beverly M. Hook
                            Pittsford, N. Y.

Comment

If it is the residence inn on Hornby, my friend stayed there while I stayed at Worldmark Vancouver when we were both there for work. He said it was perfectly fine and nice to have a kitchen but with the nice restaurants in Vancouver, we were eating out just about every night with breakfast and lunch being catered. I think he (or his company) was paying about $159 or $179 plus tax per night.

The 4pts near the airport I stayed at only 1 night on a redemption before I flew out. 10 mins walk from skytrain and 25 mins to downtown. Not my first choice when staying in Vancouver (previous times stayed at Hyatt downtown and Hampton Inn not far from Canada Place) near but with 3-4K SPG points per redemption vs $100-130 rates, it is worth considering if costs are an issue and you have the 15-20K SPG points or if you have an early flight out. My stay was not trouble free (i.e. some noise issue from other guest) but it was a standard 4pts and fair deal for a redemption.

lol Sorry it was last year and an old sig, forgot to change it. Went to French Quarter Fest this year and I far preferred it to Jazz Fest.
                              Yes, that's the place. $ rates for our dates at the Residence Inn start at $229. And when I called to ask a question, we got upgraded to a better view that was listed at $269, for the same points. The nicer hotels in the area are higher - I think this should be fine as we wont be spending much time at the hotel regardless. I do like to have for coffee and a fridge in my room, no matter where I stay.

Currently working on the San Juan Islands leg. Will buy air as soon as I have the Orcas sorted

Comment

From what he said, it is far larger than a regular hotel room and had the regular residence inn kitchen. Last nov they were still doing some renovations but breakfast can be had in the hotel or a Starbucks about 1-2 blocks away or any of the restaurants in town. Good location since there are many good restaurants on Davis and it is an easy walk down to roundhouse and a lot of the restaurants on Hamilton like Blue Water Cafe & Raw bar. An organic food market is on Davis a few blocks away.

Restaurants I like are:
                                Blue Water Cafe on Hamilton http://www.bluewatercafe.net/
                                Bin 941 on Davis http://www.bin941.com/
                                La Brasserie on Davis http://www.labrasserievancouver.com/index.html
                                Flying Pig on Hamilton http://theflyingpigvan.com/about/
                                Meat and Bread on Cambie http://meatandbread.ca/
                                Vij's on W 11th Ave http://www.vijs.ca/
                                Food trucks - see vancouver food truck app http://streetfoodapp.com/vancouver

One place I wanted to try and could not get reservation for the night I wanted to go was
                                Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts http://www.bistro101.com/
                                It is a cooking school that have lunch and dinner and when i was there in Nov Wed night is half price wine night. The Worldmark Canadian had coupons for 50% off 2nd meal there.

Comment

Working...
                                X