Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a Morritt's update thread... restaurants, to do's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a Morritt's update thread... restaurants, to do's...

Heading down shortly...

Will be (fingers crossed) diving at least 4 - 5 days. Drift snorkel to Rum Point a must, maybe twice. Tukka's for happy hour one night. I did like the Italian restaurant near the resort when I was last there 2 years ago - is it still there?

Interested in reco's for good food not too far (we will have a car but don't want to drive to GTown area). Any nice sunset views with good food nearby?

I'd have liked to try the biobay but moon will be almost full so gonna skip that. Again. Maybe in 2017 I'll get that timing right, or not.

Sunset sail a possibility. Is there still one from the place near Rum Point?

I really hate the restaurant at the resort (David's?), so would rather not have to eat there more than once. Twice max.

Tried McCurley's for car rental but I think I waited too long. Been playing phone tag w BJ, so I just booked a car from GCM with Budget. Where should we stop for groceries on the way to resort from airport?

Lawren (and any other mermaids here), any "must do" dives we should sign up for? I liked the outfit at the resort better than at Compass Point so I think we'll stick with them for the most part.

Getting psyched for this long overdue trip!

Lucky you! Sounds great. I am a big fan of Hurley's grocery store. I've found that their "daily special" can be a relatively inexpensive take-out meal , and a fun way to try local specialties.

Comment

Love love love Tukka. Chef Ron and staff are wonderful. Great happy hour 3-6, we will go for an early dinner at 4:30 -enjoy the reduced price appys, watch the frigate feeding at 5 pm from the deck and share a few entrees. http://www.tukka.ky

Kaibo Upstairs -open Thursday thru Sunday. Wonderful atmosphere and food. Rare Rum Bar. Very very nice. http://kaibo.ky/kaibomobile/aboutUpstairs.php This would be your special couples night out dinner

Over the Edge. Great local food. Very casual -tables are over the edge of the water. Local food and people. Hang out of many of the Dive Shop/Red Sail people. fUn http://www.overtheedgecayman.com Open 7 days, three meals

Italian Kitchen. Great and across the street. Really great food, and the pizza! Order a few fir take out and eat on your balcony. https://italiankitchencayman.com Closed Monday's

Eagle Rays Dive Bar. Owned by Chef Ron from Tukka. Very casual/picnic bench seating. At Compass Point. http://www.eaglerays.ky Great Lion Fish Tacos!

Across the street is Chef Remy's Bombay Chopstick. Great Indian/Seafood/Asian Fusion. http://www.bombaychopsticks.ky Closed Monday's

At Rum Pount is the Rum Point restaurant. Have not been in a few years.
      Further away is the Lighthouse. I have never been but many are fans.

Red Sail Sports has an office/Dive shop at resort. You can book your sunset sail they them and then stay for dinner at Rum Point Restaurant or Kaibo Upstairs.

Not sure if you are traveling with kids but Kaibo Beach Bar has a great Tueaday Night BBQ with a fun band. Lots of dancing and relaxing and typical Cayman BBQ food.

Morritts Welcome Party is Monday Night. You can go and enjoy the music without buying the meal if you like.

David's Restaurant has much improved since your last visit. We occasionally eat there (interesting specials) or else nice bar style food out at Mimi's. They were also doing a daily buffet breakfast last year that was really very nice.

Def Hurleys for food shopping. Reminder stores are closed Sunday's.
      Pat
      *** My Website ***

Comment

We love the all you can eat lobster night on Saturdays at the resort. The lobster is excellent! We are here now and I believe it said you can get it any night except Monday due to the buffet.

Have a great time!
        Vicki

Comment

Thanks all! Is Hurley's the big place between airport and Morritt's? Or the one across the street from the resort?

Pat, thanks for reminding me about some of the places I have liked in the past but didn't' write down. Haven't been to Kaibo Upstairs but I did remember there was special place you liked so I'll definitely try that. I assume I should make a reservation. No kiddos this trip.. are you saying that the Tuesday bbq is good w kids, or better without?

Not sure about that Welcome Party for just us...
          GrayFal
          Silver Contributor and supermoderator
          Last edited by GrayFal; 01-12-2016, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Hurleys is close to the airport. By the second traffic circle with a large Scottie bank. It is next door to a liquor store as well in Grand Harbour. http://hurleys.ky/home.php

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	923372

I think the Tuesday BBQ would be more fun with a group.....so if going as only a couple not as much fun.

Definitely make dinner Resies at Kaibo Upstairs (intimate cozy venue, fine dining) and Tukka (you want an outdoor table) and believe it or not, the Italian Kitchen as it is VERY popular with Morritts and Reef guests. Over the Edge should not be a problem. Bombay Chopsticks I would also call because of the small venue.

The outside beach bar at the Reef has a nice happy hour with lots of drink choices. Tukka and Morritts have more limited drink choice

Reminder to buy your duty free liquor in the airport before you travel, liquor expensive there.
            Pat
            *** My Website ***

Comment

Thanks, Pat! That Italian place had the best food we ate all week the last time we were there, so I will make a rez there as well as Kaibo upstairs. Will do Bombay chopsticks again and prob Tukka. Over the Edge will be a new place to try So I believe that handles our restaurant needs for the week!

ETA: btw, I forgot to reserve McCurley's in advance and have had trouble reaching them (I got BJ on the phone but she was mobbed at the airport and never got back to me - I expect it's too short notice for them). But I got a Budget car rental for $200 for the week including all taxes, which I presume is less than the McCurley's service would have cost with the pickup/dropoff and car rental.
              Glitter Brunello
              Super Moderator
              Last edited by Glitter Brunello; 01-12-2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
                Thanks, Pat! That Italian place had the best food we ate all week the last time we were there, so I will make a rez there as well as Kaibo upstairs. Will do Bombay chopsticks again and prob Tukka. Over the Edge will be a new place to try So I believe that handles our restaurant needs for the week!

ETA: btw, I forgot to reserve McCurley's in advance and have had trouble reaching them (I got BJ on the phone but she was mobbed at the airport and never got back to me - I expect it's too short notice for them). But I got a Budget car rental for $200 for the week including all taxes, which I presume is less than the McCurley's service would have cost with the pickup/dropoff and car rental.
                Did you use a code for that Budget rental. That is super duper cheap!
                Pat
                *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
                  Did you use a code for that Budget rental. That is super duper cheap!
                  Nope, no code! On my confirm the rate code appears as DQ. It's a compact car, though. $130 based rate and $62 taxes. Maybe because I waited til last minute? idk.

Comment

You are getting a better deal and a far newer model at Budget. Keep it. I used them in March, same rate, everything was fine. In fact they were very accommodating of changing clothes to catch the plane home. Watch out for the second driver fee.

A mermaid can get a great brick oven to order pizza on the beach at Kaibo after that drift snorkel. This from someone not overly fond of pizza to begin with and a native New Yorker.

Always hit Bombay Chopstick at least twice.

On the dive sites, I will try to get my log out for specific site names. If the water is glass calm there are a couple directly opposite of Morritts outside the reef that are awesome for canyons and tunnels. Babylon for the wall. Big and Little House if the water is rough.

Pre Book Dives at Red Sail by calling (get website prices first) far better prices. Don't bother with Kittiwake if you don't have to. Turns out I'm not down there for manmade things and there is little growth/fish.
                    lawren2
                    Malibu Beach Barbie & A Super Moderator
                    Last edited by lawren2; 01-12-2016, 01:00 PM.
                    Lawren
                    ------------------------
                    There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
                    - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
                      Nope, no code! On my confirm the rate code appears as DQ. It's a compact car, though. $130 based rate and $62 taxes. Maybe because I waited til last minute? idk.
                      We rented two compact car from Budget at about the same price each last summer. A Lot cheaper than renting a minivan. No problem what so ever. BTW, Budget also has free wifi in case you need to access, and its office is within walking distance from the airport.

For restaurant, we liked Over The Edge, Lighthouse (our favorite), and Keibo Beach Club (Downstairs). Mimi's was all right. Our table was close to the big speaker. Once they started to play music, the noise became unbearable. We quickly finished our dinner and left. We heard about the Italian restaurant but the night we tried to go, they were not open. We will have to try it out on our next trip.

Comment

Thanks, Lawren! No pizza for this mermaid. I am going to have to stuff myself like a sausage into the wetsuit as it is. But is Kaibo a walk or a drive from Rum Point? I have a feeling I would prefer it to the usual daytime mob at Rum Point.

Comment

http://www.redsailcayman.com/dive-sail-package/details

Package Includes:
                          Daily Two-Tank Boat Dives (includes tanks, weights and belt)
                          FREE Sunset Sail
                          50% OFF Night Dive
                          50% OFF 1-Tank Afternoon Dive*
                          20% OFF Stingray City Dive
                          10% OFF Watersports**
                          Red Sail Sports T-shirt
                          10% Retail Discount
                          All applicable taxes and service charges

Kaibo is a drive from Rum Point. Very thin crust, I think the carbs are negated by exposure to sea air???

Another vote for Lighthouse the salads were great but it is a long drive and we stopped in for lunch enroute from airport the day I arrived. And the Italian place is always good and convenient. More than enough for 2 ( I think there is a plating fee to split ) or for doggie bag lunch the next day.

Remember the little Foster's will bring in anything you need that may have been forgotten.
                          lawren2
                          Malibu Beach Barbie & A Super Moderator
                          Last edited by lawren2; 01-12-2016, 01:27 PM.
                          Lawren
                          ------------------------
                          There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
                          - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

First Dives ~ 100 feet usually wall dives

Black Rock
                            Mc Curley's Wall
                            The Maze
                            Pat's Wall
                            - saw an eagle ray here.

OK these are second tank dives ~ 60 feet

Snapper Hole - tunnels, turtles and a very large green moray hangs out there - off Morritts (only calm conditions)
                            Old Wreck ( this was like diving in a natural cathedral ) - off Tukka
                            Big House - open tunnels or canyons, coral heads, flumes and my french angels ( windy weather, rough sea dive)
                            Little House
                            Old Isaac
                            3 Sisters
                            River of Sand
                            Ironshore Gardems
                            Lawren
                            ------------------------
                            - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Great dive info, thanks Lawren!

Has anyone done the Luna Del Mar thing at Kaibo? Apparently it's our last night there.... seems like it could be lovely, or hokey... ?

Comment

Working...
                              X