Woodford Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodford Bridge

We have an exchange to Woodford Bridge (Holsworthy, Devon, England) this July. We've already experienced the helpfulness of the staff. We look forward to this visit to a part of England we haven't visited before.

We do wonder if anyone on this board has a favorite car rental company (at Heathrow) to recommend?

Also, any favorite things to do near the resort that might not get the "press" of some of the standard "touristy" activities?

Thanks.

First time I heard about this resort. When we went to London we did not rent a car. We found that there subway is one if the best we have seen.
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

It is 200 miles west of London. We arrive on a Sunday, which is not good for public transportation. So, we've agreed to rent a car. I've driven in England before, so we'll be good.

Indeed, the London subway is wonderful.

Comment

When we went to Cornwall a few years ago, we rented from Enterprise. They were very nice - even lent us a road atlas which was invaluable when determining which spoke to take on the roundabouts. The main reason we chose them was because they had mostly automatics. My husband said later that if he had to use a manual transmission in addition to all the other differences he would have gone mad.

Comment

Originally posted by bellesgirl View Post
          When we went to Cornwall a few years ago, we rented from Enterprise. They were very nice - even lent us a road atlas which was invaluable when determining which spoke to take on the roundabouts. The main reason we chose them was because they had mostly automatics. My husband said later that if he had to use a manual transmission in addition to all the other differences he would have gone mad.
          Enterprise seems to have very decent prices. They are certainly in play. Also, I'll be using an automatic, for the obvious reasons.

Comment

We go to Europe quite often and always seem to get our best prices from Auto Europe.
            http://www.autoeurope.com/
            We book early and another nice thing besides their good prices if you get on their email list you get notice of their sales. If you always check your booked dates after you book and the price goes down you can rebook at the lower price for no rebooking fee.
            I stayed at that resort a few years ago, I thinkit was in 2008, and it is a pretty place with nice units. They have some resident peacocks that some people found annoying but we liked seeing them and did not mind their squaking. There was one who would even peek in the kitchen window at us and we found that quite amusing. You will enjoy the area. Very peaceful! Be sure to have cream tea and scones. FANTASTIC!

Comment

Mav: Thanks for the advice. Any particular restaurant for the cream tea and scones?

So far as car rental, I noticed that Hertz had a fairly decent rate on Interval International, of all things. I'm going to try and determine the additional charges: VAT, insurance, etc. So, if anyone has a recent car rental bill and can give us a hint as to how many additional charges there are and what their approximate cost, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Hi BWolf,
                It was actually at a bakery /farm market store and was SO GOOD!
                You can also easily go to Cornwall from here
                and wander around castle ruins along the coast, beautiful scenery and Cornwall also has fantastic scones and cream tea. REALLY decadent yum yum. One place we had cream tea and scones at and I can't remember the name of it, I bought 1 dozen choc. chip cookies to go. They actually had sugar granuals on top of chocolate chip cookies and they were the best I have eaten ANYWHERE ! AAHHH! I have GOT to go back! Have a wonderful time!

Comment

Originally posted by mav View Post
                  Hi BWolf,
                  It was actually at a bakery /farm market store and was SO GOOD!
                  You can also easily go to Cornwall from here
                  and wander around castle ruins along the coast, beautiful scenery and Cornwall also has fantastic scones and cream tea. REALLY decadent yum yum. One place we had cream tea and scones at and I can't remember the name of it, I bought 1 dozen choc. chip cookies to go. They actually had sugar granuals on top of chocolate chip cookies and they were the best I have eaten ANYWHERE ! AAHHH! I have GOT to go back! Have a wonderful time!
                  We will certainly try to get to castle ruins and the coast. Probably look for a place to do some good hiking, take in the scenery, and check out scones and cream tea.

Comment

Just an FYI. After checking Enterprise, autoeurope and other consolidators, AAA and AARP, and Interval International; we used a combination of Avios points and credit card to rent with Avis thru British Air. The Avios points saved us $95 over the best price we found. Plus, we don't want to do Avios and British Air anymore. So, using up the points was good.

Comment

Working...
                    X