US Boats Seized By Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Boats Seized By Mexico

No, not timeshares, but according to BoatU.S. Magazine, more than 300 American-owned recreational vessels have been seized by the Mexican equivalent of the IRS. They were in marinas in Baja, the Sea Cortez, and on the east coast of Mexico down to Acapulco, that are popular with Americans, who often leave their vessels there they return to the US for awhile.

It is all over an inexpensive permit that the Mexican government requires, and the vessels were seized without warning or notice, and while the owners were not there.

As is most things Mexican, and most things government, it is taking much longer to straighten out than was figured.

Americans often have problems when they boat into Canadian waters, too.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

I have boated in Canadian waters most of my life and had no major issues. When I have been stopped by Canadian authorities for inspections they have been polite and well behaved.

Comment

They are pretty nice when they don't have hockey sticks.

Comment

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article....8#.U6ITB2fQcdU
        RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Wow.. It wasn't that long ago that I would take my boat to the middle of the Salish Sea to fish halibut. Only once did the Canadian Coast Guard enter my vessel for inspection. They found I only had one oar on board. My vessel passed the US Coast Guard inspection where the requirement is one oar. Because of the size of the boat an oar is just for show, imo. Anyway, I was ordered to go to Victoria Harbour to go through customs and to purchase an oar so my vessel would pass inspection. They left to check another boat so I just went back to Port Angeles. I know I was in US territorial waters and nothing ever came of it.

Comment

So that's why you keep going around in circles, Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
              So that's why you keep going around in circles, Bill.
              ha ha... made me grin....

Comment

Working...
              X